Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I retrieve orders via email? 

monewton

Total Posts:  5
Florida, USA

Can I set up an auto email (to something like an “orders” email account) that will notify me when someone places an oder. This is a “live” site. Right now, I must continuously go into the Control Panel to check for new orders.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mrbrett

Total Posts:  12

+1 for that question! and —what’s the matter with using it for a live site?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pwebdev

Total Posts:  21
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

I must respectfully disagree with Ron here on the three reasons being three strikes, however, you must know that if you do use this for a live site, every REASON he listed are GREAT causes for concern, so the true question really should be…

*IF* you are going to be using this for a live site and you want it to be able to notify you when you get an order you will need to try and figure some things out on your own, in fact, some hacking will be required.

Further, this hacking could cause further instability.

Even Further, how will this hacking effect things when notifications are incorporated into the Magento release?

In a prior post he has compared it to shooting yourself in the head.

I don’t think its quite that bad, but if you use a preview technology in production you are going to A. Be able to reflect to the Magento team what works and what doesn’t far more rapidly then many beta testers and B. risk instabilities so you better be paying close attention. Further, when the stable version does come out many of your customizations will have to be redone, not to mention some data may need to be re-imported. Hopefully, not manually.

So, I have given even more reasons not to use it, but to tell you not to is not something I will do. I believe the Magento team will add this feature in due course. Is it usable… yes, mostly. If you are willing to deal with all of these caveats, great. But you have opened yourself up to those headaches, instability, and unforeseen security issues.

*shrug*

tim.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Ron Seigel - 23 November 2007 04:34 PM

1 - Bugs
2 - Potential security issues that haven’t even been found yet.
3 - The potential that things will change so much any customizations you’ve made will need to be completely scrapped.

1. Which application doesn’t have bug? I can name many in my system: the new Leopard, Quickbooks, Adobe CS 3, Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari etc…

2. Maybe that means no potential security issues at all smile, until a hacker gets boring with hacking iphone and micorsoft products and decided to hack Magento smile

3. I think this is between the developer and his client. In my view, if I can make my client understands that using the Beta version is risky and maybe expensive when the final release comes out, yet he still say no I can’t wait, let’s use it now, then I am covered. On the other hand, I wanted to learn Magento so much, I maybe willing to work with client, offer free upgrade, help with the transition from beta to final at discounted price or no charge at all. There is this scenario too, that I run a online shop, happens to know a bit of web design, and I’d have decided not to put up with Zencart any more, so I made decision to switch - I calculate the risk, the hassle that the customization made in Beta version may bring for stable release. 

Some people take risk, some people don’t. The former seems to be the winner in life.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community