Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why is magento so slow on the admin side??? 

rvelton

Total Posts:  82

It seems to come and go, but when it is here, it just lags and hangs and make Magento un-useable. Since it is random it is so hard to pinpoint where and why. Recently been happening when I add products and goto the Category section of product add or when I upload an image for a product it just sits there and doesn’t load the product image into the page.

Not sure what to do or what information you guys would need to debug the issue.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lynnspain

Total Posts:  65
Baleares, Spain

I am having the same problem, can anyone help us please. it is so slow as to make magento not useable as it takes far too long to create anything.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dekard

Total Posts:  80

I will say that I have noticed a pretty large difference in performance when running Internet Explorer 6 or 7 versus Firefox 2 or 3. On older machines there’s a pretty noticeable advantage to Firefox but on newer systems there’s not much of a difference. Yes, Magento requires a solid webhost but having a decent machine on your end can make a difference too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lynnspain

Total Posts:  65
Baleares, Spain

I find this most strange for an open source system.  It is all very well to say move your hosting as I have read in other threads, but for people running several websites this is not a simple task, nor is it practical.  After all the effort made to install Magento and learn how it functions etc to have to give up on it now because of this is most upsetting.

If anyone has any better suggestions I would really appreciate hearing them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bartolli

Total Posts:  1

The same problem! We have dedicated server with 4GB ram, two processors and no load at all. The problem must be somewhere else.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  639

Indeed when a large number of goods or attributes need to be saved, backend works very slow, as each time you save data the system re-indexes the goods through the entire catalog.
Asynchronous Re-indexing is a solution of this problem. When a product or category is saved it is not immediately re-indexed, but put into a queue. The queue is re-indexed in the background. This greatly speeds up the backend. This mechanism is implemented by using an extension of http://mirasvit.com/magento-extensions/magento-asynchronous-reindex.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

MPro

Total Posts:  20

Part of the problem can be solved by the extension Catalog Database Accelerator in case if saving the products in the backend takes you too much time. The system needs to make re-indexing of the entire site each time you change the catalog and it makes to work Magento backend extremely slow. With this module a user does not have to manually index the site, to sit and wait - the system itself does the re-indexing in the background mode. It helps radically improve the speed perfomance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MPro

Total Posts:  20

I read different recommendations and after experiments have come to the conclusion that best way is to store sessions in Memcache. In this case there is no need to clear out of date sessions, and again: these sessions are storing in memory. There are some disadvantages: sessions appears to be lost when server reboots and sessions do not block (the second disadvantage is just theoretical, we did not find any errors). For now we put up with these disadvantages but if it is unacceptably it is possible to use Membase server. Membase server is full compatible with Memcached, but it provides persistence and list blocking, in this way you will have to wright Session SaveHandler. The only – it needs minimum 100 megabyte of memory for work. By the way the function of clean of out of date data which TTL have already is up of time is realized in Membase.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community