Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Multiple Questions…

jdegrave

Total Posts:  17

I have heard great things about Megento but need a few questions answered before I make the leap… For simplicity, I am including all my questions in one thread so I hopw no-one minds…

1) I understand that downloadable products are not currently supported.  Do you have an eta for this feature (weeks, a couple of months, a year out, more?).  My business is based on the downloadable product and will be going live within the next couple months so this in an important one.

2) Can Magento do “suggestive selling”?  What I mean is can it make product recommendations (or random selections) based upon a users selections during their visit or by the history of thier purchases?

3) Can I embed a video or MP3 player in the site to demo music or videos?  If so, can I stream these (or use HTTP buffering)?

4) In the future I will need to support subscription services (year or two down the road)?  Is this in the plans for this product or would I at a minimum be able to modify Magento enough to support this?

5) How “locked in” to a page format am I?  Can I position the navigation bar in a different location, utilize two (or one) columns instead of three, etc…

6) Will I be able to implement user updateable content (can I program in fuctionality to allow the upload of photos, background information, etc...)…

Sorry for the multiple questions but these are important things I need answered so I can get my business rolling.  My hosting service offers carts from other vendors that allow some of this but are difficult to work with.  Magento, on the surface, appears to be able to address most of my concerns without having to develop a completely custom solution from scratch.  I already have mockups of my site so I am hoping to integrate my design into the Magento framework.

I anxiously await your reply…

Best regards to all!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lol

Total Posts:  68
Plymouth, UK

Can’t be much help but for what it’s worth:

1) Don’t know but as I need this too I would like to know.

2) Magento comes with cross-sell and up-sell features right out of the box. I guess you could customise these features to do what you want but you’ll need to get your head around the Magento way of working.

3) Don’t see why not.

4) Dunno?

5) Not locked in at all. Again, you just need to get your head around the templating system and then the sky’s the limit.

6) Not sure?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jdegrave

Total Posts:  17

Lol,

Thanks for the quick response on this.  I’ve noticed on the downloadable content, the current work around is to manually e-mail the product to your customer.  Since I’ll be monitoring the site daily I dont’ see this as much of a problem early on.  My concern is when volumes start to increase this could become very time consuming.

Admins et all - if you guys can help me with the items Lol was unsure about, I would be much appreciative.  Given the flexibility of the software (at lease from what I’ve read to this point) I believe I will be able to do all this but just want to be sure.  I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time on this business at it is and I don’t want to build on this platform only to find out it can’t do what I need and have to start over again.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community