Magento Forum

Fatal error: Out of memory when viewing product listing

jwpadgett

Total Posts:  69

I’ve seen several posts regarding this error, but seems to be no single solution, so I’m looking for some specific help.

I have a standard Magento install, using Simple Helix, and have loaded 26 configurable products that are built from around 12,000 SKUs. All of my products are loaded correctly, but when I go to view the product listing for one of the larger product groups I get the following error:

Fatal errorOut of memory (allocated 87293952) (tried to allocate 256 bytesin /home/bedlinen/domains/bedlinensetc.com/public_html/magentocommerce/lib/Varien/Object.php on line 200

View the attached screenshot to see where the error is manifesting. Magento generates the error in the same place every time. All products that should be listed after the error are not listed, but do show up when I change the sort order. The product on which the error is shown loads fine when viewed, as well.

I have checked the php config and it shows that 512M has been allocated to php, so I’m not sure why I’d be having memory issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Image Attachments
error.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

James Leckie

Total Posts:  7

You are running out of memory at 86MB which is well short of the 512MB you have set in your php.ini. I would check the .htaccess because Magento likes to set php settings in the .htaccess file aswell.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

Hi Jason,

Check out this thread, it will show you how to increase your memory limit to 512M:

http://www.simplehelix.com/hosting/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&catid;=2&id;=68

Magento Community
Magento Community

suma_user

Total Posts:  14

I have also encountered this problem and changing the htaccess file does not solve the problem. Simple helix told me they didn’t know why we were getting the error and that they would pass this on to varien. Over a week later and still no news. shut eye
we are running 1.0.19804

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

From the PHP Manual;

http://www.php.net/ini.core
‘memory_limit’
This sets the maximum amount of memory in bytes that a script is allowed to allocate. This helps prevent poorly written scripts for eating up all available memory on a server.

This is likely only a problem during busier hours or during times of more memory usage by the server.

If all clients are advised to use 512MB of memory for their account you could quickly overload all available server RAM with just a few dozen users.

My understanding of the error is that you (the server) ran out of memory after allocating only 83.25MB - this would suggest that your not reaching the 512MB declared as ‘available’ to you via your php.ini configuration. 

You should considering lowering this value to a much more reasonable setting - I would think that 128MB would cover shops up to 80,000 or so products, in fact I know it would.  Unfortunately, if this is a setting that all clients on shared hosting are using your changes will likely have little effect on available memory for your application.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

This issue has been resolved.

Magento Community
Magento Community

suma_user

Total Posts:  14

Thanks to simple helix who did respond and changed their set up to resolve our problem. We now have a working site.  grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

N Lopez

Total Posts:  94

Can you share the solution with the community, please?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oldgamer

Total Posts:  142

Why not to share a solution here?
It looks to me as an ad, just to say it was solved with no help for other people. I thought that this forum purpose is solving problems, not for advertising.

Magento Community
Magento Community

giechika

Total Posts:  1
Hollywood, CA

1. locate correct
php.ini
2. put this in:
php_value memory_limit 512M

I encountered this issue on Hostmonster/BlueHost

-----------
George McKinney
Web Developer
Hookstream Interactive
http://www.hookstream.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

marknet

Total Posts:  46

<DELETED> SImpleHelix has fixed the situation.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community