Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

3 questions regarding import and export

eitai2001
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Johannesburg, South Africa

1) Is there a way to import product ID’s for new products so that I can define the product ID for each product (I currently have set ID ranges for each of my suppliers to make updating easy). Also, if I already have that product ID in the database, it must update or overwrite it ... is there a way to do this. And is there a way to export a certain range of product ID’s ... so export ID’s 1 - 10? I don’t work off SKU’s as they are not always unique.

2) Is there a way to create new categories by name if I import a product to a category that doesn’t exist yet using the product import and also to assign products to existing categories by name instead of category ID? (currently in Easy Populate that I use in osCommerce, I type out the name of the category that I want the product to go to and if it exists, then it links the product to that category, if it doesn’t exist, it creates the category then links the product).

3) Is it possible to create new attributes using the import function, or do I have to create them in admin first?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

Any answers smile ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

turbo1

Total Posts:  296
Los Angeles, CA

Hi there,
Are you using the osC import tool? It’s extremely hit-and-miss with that tool. I wish I could offer better advice but I’m on these forums looking for help (unsuccessfully) just like you are. There are more people here with questions than answers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

No, I meant when importing new products using the dataflow. I will manually move over my osCommerce stuff.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

In Magento’s tables the product_ID is internal use. You never really see it on the front end except for the occasional url.
The SKU has to be unique though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

But is there no way to dictate to Magento what the Product_ID must be ... I need to use this to upload specific supplier pricelists and not get them confused.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

Just use the Magento sku field to hold what you are thinking of as product ID. That is what is used in the import file to determine which product to either create or update.

For your questions 2 and 3, you can write some code to do it…

Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

Well the other problem is I need to use my suppliers SKU’s at the same time otherwise I can never be sure which exact item to order. Hence why I want to be able to edit the product_id and sku separately.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andrey666

Total Posts:  58

create new attribute: vendor or supplier sku, u shouldnt be messing around with product id in DB....

Magento Community
Magento Community

David Oliver

Total Posts:  177
Cologne, Germany

eitai2001 - 24 August 2008 12:01 PM

2) Is there a way to create new categories by name if I import a product to a category that doesn’t exist yet using the product import and also to assign products to existing categories by name instead of category ID? [...]

3) Is it possible to create new attributes using the import function, or do I have to create them in admin first?

I’m also very interested in getting some input on this. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community