Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product Attributes and links to SKUs/drop down options

pupnotts

Total Posts:  2

I have been playing around with Magento - and can set up products with multiple attributes (drop downs) so that a given product can have eg variations on:

COLOUR (1,2,3,4)
SIZE (1,2,3,4)
WITH/WITHOUT ZIP
WITH/WITHOUT HOOD

However - as far as I can see you have to link each of these to a SKU (ie a hidden product that equates to each combination). You can see that with those combinations it means you effectively have 4 x 4 x 2 x 2 = 64 different related hidden products to manage this single customer visible product.

Am I missing a trick - is there a better way of doing this??  ie Can some of the options be set up so they DONT have to link to a related product behind the scenes

For MOST of the products with this number of options I dont actually need to control stock figures - as they are made to order and we dont ‘stock’ all the variants.. but I cant actually see a way of doing that ‘virtual’ stock holding model anywhere.  I assume it must be possible - as in the dropshipping type model (which is fairly common) people dont actually hold stock - and hence it is effectively ‘unlimited’

Is there a way of doin it with the stock holding model too? - but only making the core product (eg colour and possibly size) the hidden products that have a stock figure - and the other options just selectors (that show on the order, but without the need for a related product or stock figure details)

If anyone can help with this I’d be soooo grateful

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DK Takeshi

Total Posts:  4
Auckland, New Zealand

If what I’m reading correct?  I’m new to this, and I’ve been wondering how to add attribute fields and what not?

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

I have the same issue, but I’m doing shoes so I have a lot more combinations.

I think the trick in your case is to define your products as simple products with attributes for color and size (or just one of the two).
Then add a configurable product and associate the simple products. On the configurable product, put the custom options of zipper and hood (and size or color if you didn’t make one an attribute). This limits the number of options to enter or combinations to enter, and the option really does belong on just the product that is visible to buy. But you have to have at least one attribute to make a configurable product.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community