Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

multiple stores question

insight

Total Posts:  58

Hello,

I am setting up a site that requires both a ‘retail’ end and a ‘trade’ end.

the retail end will be able to do all the things that a typical ecommerce site can do (buy suff etc)

the trade end will have all the same items on it and allow trade customers to buy from it

so basically both the ‘ends’ will have have the same products and share the same stock levels but the prices will be different and the trade store will behave in a slightly different way (i.e. have different navigation and payment options)

Am i right in thinking that i need to set up two ‘websites’ in magento??

or do i set up one website that has 2 stores??

Obviously retail customers will should not have the option to select the trade store, i was hoping to restrict access based on a different web page. i.e. have the retail site set up as http://www.mysite.com and have the trade site on a different url i.e. http://www.trade.mysite.com

Thanks in advance

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

freshwebs

Total Posts:  153
Leicestershire, UK

Hi,
I believe you can setup different types of customer - retail & trade for example. Not sure how you would prevent a retail customer from actually purchasing at trade prices tho’?

You should also be able to direct trade customers to the trade site (or store) - you need to follow the multiple stores tutorial on how to. Then you can use your hosts file to point the trade url at the trade sub directory. This does depend upon your hosting solution - check with them that you have this capability. Another potential solution is to use a sub domain -trade.domain.com, etc.

Eddie

Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  10
Bratislava, Slovakia

As for different prices for different customers: you can create a “Dealer” customer group, then define a new catalog price rule under Promotions, where you define a % discount from the retail (standard) price. These discounted prices will apply to all customers assigned to the Dealer group (they will see the prices after signing-in).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community