Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to upgrade from Mediatemple 1-Click Install V1.0

pixelpossum

Total Posts:  8

Hi There,
I have an installation of V1.0 running on Mediatemple GS which I installed using the Mediatemple 1-Click Install. They still only have 1.0 available and I want to upgrade to the latest release. Do I use the same upgrade process as with a conventional Magento install? Has someone had some experience with this??

Thanks PP

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

I think mt dropped Magento support entirely since the v1.1.1 update due to mySQL version. Don’t think you can run the latest magento on GS.

It’s not a good host for Magento store anyway! Very slow, and if you ticket the support, either you don’t get reply or receive a standard response with a link that ‘we do not support third party software’.

How shameful it’s the company sent false message to Magento users by addding a 1-click install in the admin.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BungleFeet

Total Posts:  26

I have successfully upgraded from 1.0 to 1.1.3 (at least I’m not seeing any problems yet).  Here’s how:

After 1-click install of 1.0, you need to install the latest version of the Magento Downloader.  To do this, log in to the back-end and go to System->Magento Connect->Magento Connect Manager (you’’ll be asked to log in again).  In the “Paste extension key to install” field, enter ‘magento-core/Mage_Downloader’, then click Install.  Once the updated downloader has installed, you can install 1.1.3.  To do this, enter ‘magento-core/Mage_All_Latest’ in the “Paste extension key to install” field and click Install.

You are now running Magento 1.1.3

Magento Community
Magento Community

pixelpossum

BungleFeet,
Thanks - it was looking good until I did the step:

“enter ‘magento-core/Mage_All_Latest’ in the “Paste extension key to install” field and click Install”

hen I got a bunch of error messages that various packages needed to be upgraded before I could perform that last step. So I selected all thye upgradable packages in the window and hit “install”. But instead of installing them I got a bunch of error messages such as the following:

“parsePackageName(): “” is neither a valid version nor a valid state in “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Frontend_Default_Modern-”
invalid package name/package file “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Frontend_Default_Modern-”
Cannot initialize ‘connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Frontend_Default_Modern-’, invalid or missing package file
Install Errors

Package “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Frontend_Default_Modern-” is not valid
PEAR ERROR: upgrade failed”

Any thoughts??

Magento Community
Magento Community

pixelpossum

actually - i figured it out. I used the search for available upgrades option and then installed all of them. When I went to my store backend it then said it was running 1.1.3. BUT when I tried to log out it came up with an error message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function findFirstAvailableMenu() on a non-object in /mydomain.com/html/app/code/core/Mage/Adminhtml/controllers/IndexController.php on line 36. Now I am just getting that error message all the time - can’t log back in. Maybe this is the mysql issue chinese dream was talking about?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BungleFeet

pixel,

That’s strange, as I say, I am running without any errors at all, and I’ve been through all of the menu option in the Admin area, playing with all the configuration settings.  I’m not familiar with the Magenta code, but the error message you got doesn’t seem database related to me.  Perhaps your configuration is bad - “mydomain.com” seems a little suspect.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pixelpossum

Hi bunglefet,
Thanks. The mydomain.com was my substitution for my URL. I just gave up for a while on this. I got a response to my support question with MT about when they will have the updated Magento available where they said: “No eta as of yet. However we will post all updates on our website when this update becomes available.” Not sure exactly what that means but i hope they will add the update soon. I will then re-install and see how I go. My current install is messed up!

PP

Magento Community
Magento Community

neilcreek

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

I’m unfortunately in the same position. I’m trying to upgrade the 1-click magento install on mt. I’m a little confised because the “magento connect” that everyone is talking about doesn’t exist in my menu. I found a page called that in the menu under a different name. I can’t check that now though, because the process of using magento connect to download and install “magento-core/Mage_Downloader” rendered the installation unusable. Now whatever page I go to, I get this error:

“Whoops, it looks like you have an invalid PHP version.
Magento supports PHP 5.2.0 or newer. Find out how to install Magento using PHP-CGI as a work-around.”

So I tried the cgi-install, and it killed it even further, giving me database errors. I can’t show them to you right now, because I deleted and re-installed the 1-click v1.0 magento again, to try and upgrade again. But I am getting the same errors.

This is sending me to my wits end. My client is on an Australian host called WebCity, and I tried to install Magento there, but they refuse to install the required php modules. So when I saw the 1-click install in my own host of mt, I thought I was saved, now I run into this! This is the third ecommerce package I’ve tried, and EVERY time I run into a brick wall. I’m sorry if this is too much ranting, but I’m really at the end of my rope.

Please can someone throw me a life line!?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Honestly, your best bet is to find a host that fully supports Magento and test out your project.  Hostgator is pretty good and fast too (don’t know how it’s compare with the hosts in this forum), you can just sign up one with monthly plan for testing purpose. It has a 30 days money back ( I am not saying you use it for your advantage and cancel the account when your project ended withinin 30 days)

I am also with mt, and is very frustrating that it’s not supporting Magento, but even if it still is, it’s not a suitable host for Magento because it’s very slow.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BungleFeet

@neilcreek - After upgrading via MagentoConnect, your PHP version gets reset to 4.x, for some reason.  All you need to do is set it to version 5.x via the option in the Media Temple control panel.

@chinesedream - I have to agree with you.  Even though I have a working Magento v1.3 installation on Media Temple (and upgrading didn’t cause me too much hassle), if I were choosing host for a Magento project, it certainly wouldn’t be Media Temple.

--BungleFeet

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community