Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product Flavour Attribute

IrishC

Total Posts:  89

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can help me with this..

Basically we sell products in various flavours.  Overall storewide (across all our products) the flavour list is pretty limited (Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla, Banana and a few others ) etc, however some products only have a select few of these available whilst others have them all.

Anyway, initially I created a new dropdown attribute called “Flavour” and assigned it all the various options we might need.  This now appears in the product general settings area.  However now it seems I have to assign the flavour when I create the product… which is obviously a problem - I want the user to choose.

So I remembered about these “configurable products” I have read about and go about trying to approach it that way.  Now though, I have several new products in the database, with the only difference that they are of different flavours.  Ok, thats logically a pretty acceptable solution I suppose, and it even creates new SKU codes, so I can live with that.

Anyway, with all that in mind I have a few queries....

I still cant get the dropdown to appear on the front-end cart so that the user can select what flavour they want.  Any ideas?

And more generally - Is using configurable products the only way to achieve what I need? Its fine I suppose, but seems a little bloated a solution for our store.  My old self-coded cart just has a textfield that I parse to create attribute dropdowns i.e. “Attribute-Name: Option1, Option2, Option3”.  Fair enough we never had price variations etc, but it sufficed.  Perhaps there is a simpler method in magento also?

Thanks guys!

C

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community