Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Manage Customers admin page extremely slow to load

bclark@dinovite.com

Total Posts:  17

I’m also having this problem. 

I recently loaded our old system’s contact list ~150k customer records.  The manage customer page has become abysmally slow (as I feared that it would).

I am a certified master level dba and have managed hundreds of web software dev projects. I see two mistakes:
1.  The magento data structure is a big cause of the problem.  The structure works well for the ability to add nearly infinite numbers of attributes but that flexibility comes at a price.
2.  You should never design a page to has to parse a potentially huge data set before it allows the page to be used.  The page should not preload data but give the user the option of searching on criteria (or leave it wide open if desired) and then upon hitting search, the query is run.

One (or more) indices may fix the problem but it may not given how far the data structure is pushed out of traditional normal forms.  I’m thinking right now of creating a view that runs against a table that is populated every few mins (hours) with a recombined dataset from the customer entity tables.  Kind of a “datamart” way of handling the data.  I would also be interested in not having the query run at load time but only on submit of the search button. 
I really don’t want to do this level of customization but I don’t see the problem being resolved in the short-term.

Comments… ??

Thanks,
bc

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Total Posts:  179

We saw a slight increase in speed with 1.2.0 release compared to 1.1.6

Also we noticed that the biggest issue was CPU load and we doubled our core on our server and that also helped the speed as well.

However, it is still slower then we’d like and I think the datamart is great concept to resolve this.

Another problem with loading results on search submit is our customer service reps are constantly searching the customers as they answer phones and emails. Every time they answer the phone and enter a search query they have to wait 10 seconds for the results. So this wouldn’t resolve the issue for general customer service only on initial load.

I’m only at about 60k customer records so you are triple what I have…

let me know what you come up with.

Magento Community
Magento Community

teamelv

Total Posts:  1

I just installed Magento. I am hosting with GoDaddy and the home pagea and other pages not associated with Magento are loading very slowly (painfully slow). The other pages are fine. I don’t think it is a hosting issue. The site is http://www.elvmotors.com/products/product

Any advice that anybody can provide is highly appreciated.

-ELV Motors

PS: I truly enjoy the great features of Magento. It is truly a great system. The more I use, the more I like it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Total Posts:  179

teamelv,

It might be an issue with .htaccess and redirects on your server associated potentially with apache. I would search under those topics in the forums. How many products do you have in your database? If you don’t have too many (i.e. thousands) then I’d say its not your database. What are you using to manage the content pages that are not associated with Magento? It might be that system that is going slow

Magento Community
Magento Community

bclark@dinovite.com

I want to follow up on my previous note.  After upgrading to version 1.2.1 our performance problems (with the customer list) have evaporated. The upgrade was full of nice performance boosters.

Thanks,
bc

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisd66

Total Posts:  3

I am new to this product, using the latest v1.2.1, and have been slowly loading in products over the last few days.  First off I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing the product because overall I really like it and wouldn’t be using it if I didn’t. I currently have about 120 products loaded in and the admin section of the site is horribly slow.  The frontend is also slow, though thankfully not as slow as the admin.

I know that the site is hosted at godaddy which according to other posts here seems like a bad idea. (I’m looking into other options)
Back to the original reason for my post here.  I haven’t tried to debug any of the code, but just looking at the previous post with the query that is being run to retrieve customers I can see why things are so slow.  That is an insane query to be trying to run.  If any of the developers are seeing this reply, I would really love to know why they would try to run something like that. I can only imagine that the product retrieval queries are similar.

Mysql doesn’t handle joins well to begin with.  You shouldn’t do more than 3 or 4 joins at a time if you are trying to have any reasonable performance.  If you are going to have 11 joins in a query why wouldn’t you just break that up into mutiple queries.  Even with a perfect indexing solution, once the data reached a critical point this query would break down just because of the amount of data that it would have to scan through.  Having to wait 9 seconds with only 46,000 customers in the database is completely unacceptable.

In other posts on slow performance I have read that increasing the php memory to 128M or more should help with performance.  Again, developers if you are out there, why would this product need to burn through so much memory?  With what is happening and the amount of information that needs to be retrieved per page, this shouldn’t need more than about 16M of memory per run and that’s factoring in the memory holding all the includes.

Unless one is expecting to carry a product line in the thousands and millions of customers, magento shouldn’t require a special tricked out set of servers to run.  Someone needs to look into the how and why of some of these crazy queries as well as the php memory usage.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bclark@dinovite.com

chiming in:
I will be the very first to say that mysql is NOT an enterprise class RDBMS system.  I will even go further and say that the way the EAV data model was implemented inside magento is extremely inefficient.  However, since the 1.2.1 release (with its updated indexes, etc), we have seen a massive uptick in performance.  We have ~50 products, ~140,000 customers records, and 4 years of historical orders yet we are seeing sub-second response time in pulling back the list of orders and customer lists.  I really think you need to re-evaluate your hosting solution.  The system was simply not designed to be in a virtualized solution with shared resources.  We use a hosted, dedicated linux box with 4 GB of Ram and 2 Intel processors. 

That said: The community is open, code up (or pay for some coding) to implement your ideas and submit them back.

bc

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  639

Hi.  You can increase backend performance using asynchronous reindex extension. Check this one Fast Asynchronous Re-indexing http://mirasvit.com/magento-extensions/magento-asynchronous-reindex.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

MPro

Total Posts:  20

Part of the problem can be solved by the extension Catalog Database Accelerator in case if saving the products in the backend takes you too much time. Every time you you change the catalog the system needs to make re-indexing of the entire siteand it makes to work Magento backend extremely slow. With this module a user does not have to manually index the site, to sit and wait - the system itself does the re-indexing in the background mode.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2