Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Add Custom Options to Multiple Products

twistedindustries

Total Posts:  64

I have a store where almost all of my products are going to have the same custom options.  Color and End options.  My question is; Is there anyway to add custom options to multiple products rather than going in and doing each product individually?  Does anyone know how to accomplish this?  I think if I have to do each one I won’t be done until the next release.

Thank you to any help I get ahead of time.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

twistedindustries

Anyone?  I know I can’t be the only one with this problem.  Or maybe I am going about it the wrong way can someone please point me in the right direction?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Well I’m not sure what your End options are, but if you’re doing several with the same color options, I would set them up as Configurable Products, not Custom Options.  That way you don’t have to enter in all the colors every time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

twistedindustries

They all have the same “end options” (its how the product gets finished) so I can set up a configurable product with these options and it will be faster?  I guess I don’t fully understand configurable products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

michaelc

Qld, Australia

If I understand your question correctly, it all happens within your product attributes (Admin->Catalogue->attributes->Manage Attributes).
Setup your attributes with a “Default value” (the value most used) and then assign to your appropriate attribute set.

So if you sell glasses, and the bulk of your glasses are blue, set up your attribute, in this case color, to be blue (or whatever your default would need to be).

If you are using attribute sets, make sure if you are creating new attributes to then drag and drop the new attributes into the appropriate set. If they already exist and are assigned (default) then you don’t have to worry.

Hope this helps…

Image Attachments
attribute_screengrab.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

michaelc

Qld, Australia

Of course you can also export your cataloge as a .csv and do a find and replace function, or edit your values quickly then re-import the .csv and update the values on mass. This would be quicker…

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

I’d like to know too!
I don’t want to use attributes because then you have to have a product entered for each value. Especially if you have more than one variable (like size and color), that means a lot of products that you then have to associate with a configurable product. And there has been a lot of problems with configurable products. And if you have an open-ended sort of option, it really makes no sense to use an attribute if what you really need is an option.

Since I’m not letting Magento manage stock levels, I thought it would be best if I had one product for each color and then each of these would have an option for size.

I tried entering one product manually and creating the option on that product. I then exported it and added 20 other products in the same format, using the same value for the option fields including the options_container (was container1). When I import the file, none of the new ones have the option when viewed in the backend, but the subsequent export shows that they all have a value for the options_container (but now it’s container2). And when visiting the product detail page for one of those new products, no option shows and neither does the Add to Cart button!

Magento Community
Magento Community

twistedindustries

michaelc - 21 August 2008 07:44 PM

If I understand your question correctly, it all happens within your product attributes (Admin->Catalogue->attributes->Manage Attributes).
Setup your attributes with a “Default value” (the value most used) and then assign to your appropriate attribute set.

So if you sell glasses, and the bulk of your glasses are blue, set up your attribute, in this case color, to be blue (or whatever your default would need to be).

If you are using attribute sets, make sure if you are creating new attributes to then drag and drop the new attributes into the appropriate set. If they already exist and are assigned (default) then you don’t have to worry.

Hope this helps…

It actually needs to be a drop down option if anyone would like to see how it is set up now using custom options go to http://www.scdcustompergolas.com/index.php/pergolas/pergolas/classic-pergola.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

sarahb

Total Posts:  24

Are the custom options filterable ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

twistedindustries

No because they are the same for all products.  Each product will have the same style and stain options.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

I found out by looking in the database that the options are stored with the product ID in the table. This means that it is not set up to reuse the option on multiple products. BACKWARDS!  (This is also why the options didn’t load when I did the csv file...just the true/false has_options field is loaded into the product, but it does not affect the options tables.)

So you either need to have a little script that adds those options for you for each of your products, or try to figure out one attribute that you can make configurable. With one attribute configurable, you would enter all your products as simple products and then when you add the configurable product, you put the custom options once.

In your case, I would make the size an attribute, which means you’d have to enter 6 products for each one you have now, and then make a configurable product for each type with those 6 sizes as the associated products. The one configurable product (for each type) would have the custom options.  It still sounds like way too many to enter, but the 6 sizes are all identical except for one attribute—size—so they can be loaded from a csv file (export, duplicate 6 times, import)

Magento Community
Magento Community

NikNak

Total Posts:  6

I also have this problem,
in my case I have more then 3000 products that each can come in about 30 different finishes and fabrics.
It would make no sense using configurable products.
I need a way to add an attribute set to them and make it show to the user on a dropdown like a custom option

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community