Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page Requested not found

lastone1968

Total Posts:  2

First of all, hello to everyone.  I’m a new user and more of a designer type.  Like many, I discovered Magento and was immediately impressed, but getting this thing to work has been difficult.

I’ve read through the forums for going on 3 days and tried everything I’ve seen, yet I still get this:

Whoops, our bad…

The page you requested was not found, and we have a fine guess why…

Only the home page seems to be having this problem.  All the links come up with this.

My web hosting company is omnis.  They have an automated installation of Magento, but it seems that is not set up properly because that service installs Magento without regard to the fact that you’re supposed to install the sample content first.  Using their automated service, it’s not possible to install the sample content first.  However, I used their auto installer first and it installs fine.  The home page is more or less blank but it seems to be working.  That installation is version 1.x.  When I tried to update to the latest version, the Magento update using Magento connect, it simply stalls out and never finishes.

I’ve deleted the whole installation and installed it by copying via ftp.  The result is that I can see all the proper home page with the sample content, but all the links are broken.  I’ve tried all the remedies but nothing seems to work.

I’m at my wit’s end.  The question I have is, should I forget about Magento and just focus on getting something like Zen Cart?  Would Zen Cart be better since it’s been around for a long time and Magento is very new?  What attracted me to Magento was that the default template looked great.  I could use this template until I figure out how to customize it.  Other templates like Zen cart or OS Commerce look awful and I don’t want to go live with one of those while working out how to customize.

Lastly, is there any further advice that can be offered to solve this problem of broken links?

http://www.randomflow.com/magentoflow.  I’ve had this set up also using the default directory “magento” instead of “magentoflow” which seems to make no difference.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lastone1968

Total Posts:  2

Well, I decided to switch hosting companies to one of those on the recommended list.  I’m now hosting with hostgator.com.  Maybe things will work a little differently this time around.

Magento Community
Magento Community

w3webpro

Total Posts:  10

I too would like to know the answer the this question as I’m having the same experience with broken links on a fresh manual install.

On a side note. I have tried zen cart and it is absolutely disastrous from a design perspective. The coding absolutely horrid and couldn’t figure out how to customize anything in there. I like to code, but zen cart drove me nuts. I am loving the customization capabilities in magento but there aren’t too many good themes to use unless you want to pay for them…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community