Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Smallest recommanded CPU with XP to run Magento ? 

Sebmex

Total Posts:  9

Hi,

I would like to build a small server, as quiet as possible and low power consumption, BUT able to run fine Magento without being slow due to unsufficient CPU power ...

Which one should I pick with minimum calculation power in order to work with 2 Gb RAM and XP ?

Thank you

Sebmex

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Dekard

Total Posts:  80

Is this for a testing environment or for live use as a webserver?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sebmex

Total Posts:  9

Hi,

it’s for live use as a webserver.

I bought an Intel D201 motherboard with 1 Gb RAM and Celeron 220 1.6 GHz (passive cooling).

I don’t expect to have lots of clients at the beginning (10 per day would be maximum), and have 2Mb/s dsl connection at home.

I am going to install WAMP on Windows Home Server edition.

What do you think ?

thanks for your time.

Sebmex

Magento Community
Magento Community

misterMan

Total Posts:  57

Hi Sebmex,

I would recommend going with some type of shared hosting to start. No matter what you do your DSL is going to be VERY slow. The actual throughput of the DSL more than likely isn’t going to be 2 Mb a second, it’ll be around 100 to 400 k if you’re lucky. Also consider you’ll have upload as well as download per person on your site. If you have even 5 to 10 clients on at once that’ll slow down the connection to a crawl and then they’ll leave just because it takes 10, 20, 30 seconds to load a single page. Not only that but Magento is very intensive resources wise.

Seriously consider going to some sort of hosted solution.

Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dekard

Total Posts:  80

Forget performance.... Security would be the key… Getting something secured when you don’t know what your doing is impossible. Sorry, this is a bad idea when you can get decent hosting for so little. Check siteground.com for a fair host thats low cost.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community