Magento Forum

SSL and Hostgator Shared

Logix

Total Posts:  3

I’ve set up a Magento install that works perfectly on Hostgator, except when I tried to change it to enable SSL.  When I enable SSL I get a “No input file specified” error.  The site still works in the non-secure url, just not the secure url.  It’s a shared SSL account.  I think this has something to do with the rewrite but I’m not sure.  Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

pooniraja

Total Posts:  26

I have a private ssl (not shared via the hosting company) installed and things are working just fine with version 1.1.2.

If it is a real shop environment, then you definitely want a private ssl (instant ssl, comdo, etc), otherwise shoppers will get the mismatched domain name error.  IE will actually suggest people not to go ahead.  In real e-commerce the ssl related mismatched domain error will result in pretty much no orders coming through.

If you are not willing to pay and are just testing, I’d suggest that you get a free private ssl (from instantssl.com).

When I enabled secure url, I also enabled secure ssl for admin too.  Right away, I had problems with the admin url not letting me log in.  So, I had to go to the db in phhmyadmin to manually change the settings and log in.

So, I suggest that you get a free private ssl, but make sure you do not enable secure url for admin.

I hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

You might want to contact your host as it looks like https is not pointing to the correct location of your files or not using the correct php binary.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Logix

Total Posts:  3

Thanks for the help.  I did go ahead and purchase a private SSL certificate.  It seems to be working well now.  I think it may be how Hostgator has their shared SSL redirects set up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xactrecords

Total Posts:  80

Logix,

I am also using hostgator.  I have multi stores (multi domains) setup with Magento.  Do you know if you need to buy mulitpile ssl certs or can you share off the primary domain.  Also I was told I need a private IP address?  I hope thats not the case.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

xactrecords - 03 November 2008 05:18 AM

Logix,

I am also using hostgator.  I have multi stores (multi domains) setup with Magento.  Do you know if you need to buy mulitpile ssl certs or can you share off the primary domain.  Also I was told I need a private IP address?  I hope thats not the case.

Yes you will need a dedicated IP addresses for SSL certificates to work. Each domain should have its own SSL certificate coupled with a dedicated IP.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community