Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I let a certain user group see the wholesale price? 

gamerscalling

Total Posts:  8

Hello,

I am not quite sure how I should go about this with Magento, but I would like to allow people that have been set into a certain user group the ability to see the wholesale or cost price for the items. I am thinking it will be just some check on the template to see if the user is in a certain group then pulling the data out, but I want to make sure and maybe find out if anyone know how before I try and figure it out myself to save time for my client.

Also is there a similar way to user the Magento user database to restrict access to CMS pages?

Thank you for all your time and help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

PeterStoba

Total Posts:  3

First question, under the item when you make it, under the prices (words to this effect) section you can add tiers, which iirc is something to do with user groups

Magento Community
Magento Community

gamerscalling

Hmm, that sort of works, but it only shows as “Buy # or more of these at $xx.xx.” for the desired group. So the functionality doesn’t match quite what this needs.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tuyya

Total Posts:  2

Hello gamerscalling,
Did you resolve your problem ? Because I got the same interest of giving some retailers a gross price.
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

gamerscalling

What the fellow said above should work for you, but I am looking at letting representatives of the company look up the whole sale of the products they are selling to people.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoshBelke

Total Posts:  64
NY, NY

"I am not quite sure how I should go about this with Magento”
Also is there a similar way to user the Magento user database to restrict access to CMS pages

Hi, I have run into the retail/wholesale bit.

I started with trying to apply rules to groups.
The challenge is not being able to present data, but being able to manage it on the back end.
This only ends up being a glorified hack.

The Sanest way (proper way) to control your inventory, items, prices, database, access, viewable pages, and custom pages based on customer group is to have another store.

Magento accepts multiple stores. Have you considered this?

The default store you keep as your General/Retail user, the second storefront you set as your Wholesale client.
You share the same global database for items, but each store has individual access with the ability to supersede the global values.
Also, CMS sections can be provided PER storefront, the same naming convention can be utilized for the content on the varied levels.

IE:
All Stores - footer_links, Retail - footer_links, Wholesale - footer_links
As a result, you can load in varied links, and content for each store front.

If your template calls footer_links then depending on the storefront, it will call the CMS/Block referred to by the store.
As the second storefront has a different default usegroup, the Retailers do not share access, you will have to manually remove Registration access via the template files.
If you wish to remove access to the entire catalog, you will have to setup if_logged_in() and forward the unregistered user to the registration page.

As far as management goes, now you are easily able to reprice, and then utilize pricing tiers for the wholesale store itself.
So now you have only wholesalers logged into wholesale, and you can provide them additional benefits by buying in larger bulk.

Affiliate yourself with the following:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/media/screencasts/designers-guide-1/view
http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/getting-the-most-of-multi-store-management-webinar-recording-now-available/

Administrative Management:
1) Create a new Root Category for your Wholesale (Catalog/Categories)
2) Create a new Storefront (System/Manage Storefronts)
3) Link the Storefront/View with the new Root Category
4) Go into your Products and Update the Attributes allowing the items to be added to the new Storefront

Site / Development:
As far as programming is concerned there are some more links to reference in managing/creating multiple stores.
You will need to create and reference a separate theme for different user action / design.

I have been able to fully isolate the two accounts with 1.1.6 and successfully implement the different carts while keeping all aspects of the cart hidden. I plan on making a wiki to address this.

My major fallback has been shipping rules. Via the cart, we want completely different shipping methods, different shipping for the US/International. Etc. As the Administration doesn’t contain the ability to differentiate on the shipping via storefront/website by isolated ‘flat rates’ this all has to be custom built.
~Josh

Magento Community
Magento Community

Simon Bos

Total Posts:  1

Josh, thanks for your comments, they have helped me along with getting a wholesale store setup.

Now, I’m stuck:
1) How can i direct wholesale customers (who have logged on) to the correct store? Currently, after logging on they are dumped back at the default store and have to use the footer pulldown to slecet the wholesale store - not ideal.
Also, ONLY logged on Wholesale customers should be able to visit the wholesale store. Currently anyone can choose the retailer store from the pulldown.

2) How I can i display only the wholesale price for wholesalers logged on? I have the wholesale root category linked to the wholesale store but i cant figure out how to set a wholesale price. Price is always global isn’t it?
Tier pricing works but doesnt display very well ("As low as: ...")

Should I either
a) Alter the templates to make the tier pricing work a bit better
b) create a custom attribute (called wholesale price) and then edit code to display this instead of the normal price with the wholesale store

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoshBelke

Total Posts:  64
NY, NY

1) In the System Configuration, via 1.1.6 you must have the correct setup for multiple stores for Users, we want ‘by store’ and not global users.
We also want to have the Wholesale default user to not be “General” we want them as Wholesale.
We also want the Retail section to have “Retail” for them respectively.

Linking between the two stores:
I have made the header links and footer links into both CMS blocks one assigned to each store using the same ID header_links & footer_links, making them dynamic, editable via admin. Also this allows to have different links for each cart type without editing the Template files.

I link from my retail store to http://www.mydomain.com/wholesale/indexphp/customer/account/login to register. (app/default/wholesale/
My shopping cart relies on the 3 Column design, and i have some isLoggedIn goodness across the shop making sure that you are logged in, and if not you are redirected to the customer/account/login page in the wholesale template.

I have removed/disabled the registration process from the wholesale template, and only provide login capability.
As a result no one can see pricing without logging in.

I also have another check for login at checkout requiring that you are logged in, also removing the ‘login as guest’ functionality.

2) If you want the catalog available, but not the price, you would do an “isloggedin” docs.magentocommerce.com to hide just pricing.
Price is global, which is the point, in wholesale you generally control quantity and then discount.
If you want completely different pricing, you will be recreating those items (skus) appending something to denote the store type, maybe a -w.

3) Create a second template for wholesale completely, create entries for the wholesale store that do not utilize the global values, these are essentially different products.

Hope this helps.
~Josh

Magento Community
Magento Community

frosted

Total Posts:  25
Vancouver BC

Hey Josh,

I really appreciate your wisdom on this topic!!  It’s the most helpful clue that I have found throughout the entire forum.

I am running 1.1.6 and seem to be missing a config option?

System > Defualt Config > Customer Configuration > Account Sharing Options > Share Customer Accounts
option 1 “Per Website”
option 2 “Global”

There seems to be no “Per Store” option like you mentioned in point 1?

I read in another post that you can only separate the customer data by different web sties?  I want to do it like you have described can you please help???

Cheers,
Thanks again.
justin

Magento Community
Magento Community

fodaley

Total Posts:  5

Hello,
I too am having the same problem as Simon Bos’s #1 comment. I have created 2 websites, with the user information and product information shared on a global level. I want the user information shared on a global level so that there is essential a single sign on so the users can go to the homepage and sign on, and have magento differentiate between retailer and wholesaler. However, with the user information shared globally, a retailer can see the price of wholesaler, and vice versa. I guess I’m running into two issues

1) Current retail is the main site. When a wholesaler logs in, they get directed to the main ‘retail site’
2) I don’t want a wholesaler to be able to see retail price, and vice versa. I currently have it setup so that you have to be logged in to see the price, but do not know how to forward the user to their correct store

Simon Bos, as far as your question #2, I have my Catalog Price scope at website level. Once you edit that (System->Config->catalog->price) then (assuming you have 2 websites setup under magento) you edit your product. At the product edit page, on the store view drop down menu make sure you select the store that you want a different price. Click on price, uncheck the global value, enter the new price, and save it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gbear

Total Posts:  19

Was grappling with this same issue today.  Needed to setup a wholesale/retail store - followed the advice above to create two distinct websites & sets of customers.  Then also needed the wholesale store to be private - forcing wholesale users to login before accessing the store - essentially making it a private store.

Solution required a little code be added to head.phtml in your theme:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/22597/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Hi!
You can try to do it with Customer Group Catalog extension. It allows to hide prices from certain customer groups and replace them with any CMS-block, e.g. “Available only for wholesalers’.

For more details, user guide and live demo please follow the link - http://amasty.com/customer-group-catalog.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

vjtemplates
Guru

Total Posts:  408
Washington, USA

Hi,

Try to check out this extension. It can restrict the Price and the Add-to-Cart button so only customers with the right group can see and purchase. On the first visit, they won’t see the Price and the Add-to-Cart button until they register or log in. Once they register or log in, they will be able to see it. After that, the next time they visit, they don’t need to log in to see the Price and the Add-to-Cart button.

Additionally, you can restrict the Products, or CMS Pages or Static Blocks, so only customers with the right group can see it. If there is a custom need you want to have, feel free to let us know. We can always customize it to fit your needs.

CUSTOMER GROUP RESTRICTIONS

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community