Magento Forum

Magento email appears as SPAM

awillshire

Total Posts:  14

Hello,

I am noticing that some (but not all) of my order related Magento emails are being flagged as spam in the subject line.  The strange thing is, the same type of email (ie: invoice) may or may not be flagged as spam, based on no related rules that I can see.  These are all test orders, and the customer has the same name at all times. 

Has anybody experienced this & worked out a solution?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

harikaram

Total Posts:  54

If says ***SPAM*** in the subject then its most likely being labelled as spam by SpamAssassin.  If this is the case, you can look at the message headers and see what spam score it is assigned and which tests it failed to get that score.  (In Outlook, right-click > “Message Options")

Junk boxes are much harder to diagnose…

Magento Community
Magento Community

phazlett

Total Posts:  21
Celebration, FL

Another thing to help fight spam is to make sure you have a SPF record in DNS for your mail server.

You can check out http://www.openspf.org/ for more information on what SPF records are but basically they specify in DNS what mail exchangers are permitted to send mail for your domain. This means you can’t use localhost (ie, sendmail - assuming non-Windows) for your SMTP server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

awillshire

Total Posts:  14

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for the help, much appreciated!

All the best,
Andrew.

Magento Community
Magento Community

blizzard182

Total Posts:  115
Argentina

Well, if it’s been flagged as SPAM, there is also a possibility that what you are selling is considered something you get in a spam message. I am not saying you are a spammer but it you honestly sell something you usually get in the mail (come on, you all know what I am talking about) maybe is flagging that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Correct on including a SPF record in the mail header. You can only get so much mileage with that, what you also need are Domain Keys. I am trying to build a wiki article on that:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/a_spam_free_guide_to_setting_up_your_mail_server_for_magento

The Domain Keys was what fixed it for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community