Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Problem with layout xml, addJs method, and my own custom JavaScript file

junglemason

Total Posts:  22
Portland, OR

In the file app/design/frontend/default/junglemason/layout/catalog.xml if I make any changes, nothing happens.  Apparently it’s not getting used.  How can I make sure my custom layouts are being used?

In the file app/design/frontend/default/default/layout/catalog.xml my changes do affect the product page.  But when I try adding <action method="addJs"><script>junglemason/imageslider.js</script></action> to <catalog_product_view><reference name="head"> it does not add the script to the page.

I added a var_dump and die to Head.php to see if anything was going through, and it is.  But the page will still not include my js file.  What could be wrong?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

somesid

Total Posts:  83

First if you want to use another theme you need to specify to magento to use you junglemason theme: more about that here : http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how-to/designing/designing-for-magento

Then about your js, be sure that your file is in /js/junglemason/imageslider.js

then the correct line should be :

<action method="addJs"><script>junglemason/imageslider.js</script></action>

Don’t forget to clean your cache (or even disable it) when you modify .xml (delete everything in /var/cache/).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community