Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Wholesale only? 

dunover

Total Posts:  1

I am a designer/ developer and am looking for a catalog script for a customer, they need some of the following
-Wholesale only ( no prices show unless logged ) They want their dealers to be able to show the site with out the prices to the end customer

Also
- ability to edit products in bulk with an excel file upload

Will Magento do this?

Thanks!
Cori

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JoshBelke

Total Posts:  64
NY, NY

Wholesale only.
The default user is whatever you wish them to be.
As far as the listing and product view, editing the theme you can limit it to “is logged in” for the pricing. (this requires some heavy modification)
Once logged in, then the availability is there.

Magento has an importer that you can create custom profiles for.
You are able to associate column headers and import xls // csv.

personally, i like using Open Office with CSV utilizing double quotes to encapsulate and semi-colons as delimeters.

I am currently working on making a wholesale store of a multi-store cart.
We are using magento because its being designed as a full scale application (not a light script) to handle such things.

Good Luck in your decision process. It will take you a good hard month to get “intimate” with the product and all of its avenues if you are a developer, if not, longer.

~Josh

Magento Community
Magento Community

DrinkCoffee

Total Posts:  9

@dunover, did you ever implement this?

I have a wholesale component to my business as well.  I’m trying to figure out what the best way to implement this would be?

Should I create a separate store for wholesale and create an extension where the price only shows up when users are logged in?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

@DrinkCoffee there is a plugin for hiding prices and categories unless logged in. I would also advise having seperate prices on a per website basis, in that way there needs be no pricing ‘tiers’.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrSmileyJr

Total Posts:  43

@discovery separate prices on a per website basis - there is just one product seen on both sites?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

@MrSmileyJr - yes you can, I went the tier route for prices, I wouldn’t do that now as it counts you out of being able to do special offers to B2B customers except in the ‘cart’. To answer your question, yes, same product, different prices, login required for the B2B site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrSmileyJr

Total Posts:  43

I found this… it may help http://nik.chankov.net/2009/04/17/creating-wholesale-solution-with-magento-commerce/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Auriferous

Total Posts:  26

I finally wrote an extension for this… I still need to fix a few things and am going to add some features such as “Price Name” so that if you name it “Wholesale” or “Distributor Price” it will display this on the front end based on which rule it uses…

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/Auriferous/extension/3757/wildcardbi_rulepriceattribute

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community