Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
Custom Options on a Bundle Product

mohitphp5

Total Posts:  1

This seems to be a major issue.

What I am trying to achieve is ,I have a restaurant website ,I have been using magento for a few months now for the same and it has been fulfilling most,if not all, of the requirements . Earlier dishes in restaurant consisted of a one-product-and-multiple-custom-options approach.
For example if I had a dish ‘Combo Meal‘ it consisted of custom Options such as Starters,Main course, Desserts .. etc .And the various values of options listed all possible dishes for those “Custom Options “. For example :  if a user chose ”Combo Meal >> Starters” ,the “Custom Option “ starters lists all starter dishes for ”Combo Meal”,the dishes include soup,salads etc . It has been working fine ,till i got a requirement to have one more level of selection for the
dishes, as now “soups and salads” can have multiple choices like “Chicken soup,Vegetable soup,spinach soup”.

So my initial plan was to use bundled products here and have custom options in each of the product in bundle to achieve one more level
of selection here.Is it even possible to achieve something like this?

There are actually two issues here :

1.being able to add custom options to a bundle itself(which can be done keeping fixed price for the bundle).
2. being able to add products with custom options to a bundle.

Now,there is a solution for the former issue.I am yet to find a solution for the latter one.Is there no way of adding a product with custom options to the bundle ?

can anyone suggest me an alternative or something else they think would better suit my requirements?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

fragilem17

Total Posts:  56

Hi,

once you have a bundle with a fixed price, you can add simple objects to them. (without custom options)
then you can add custom options to your bundled product, that might be a sollution for your problem.
(although you would need to add the custom options for each simple dish on each bundled course… i guess that would be loads of work)
although there is a big bug when using magento in this way.. see my previous post in this thread.

all this however is not how it should be. it’s a disaster to not beign able to use dynamic prices.
adding simple products with custom options to bundles should be the way to go. having the additional option to add custom options to the bundle, the way it is now is good. then beign able to use dynamic prices and fixing the bug (see previous post) would really make it complete.

The more people start using Magento for big and complicated shops the more this bug will surface (i hope) and the sooner it will be fixed.

I know it is easy to say these things, I wish I had the skills to fix it myself as it is open sourced. So Magento team don’t take this the wrong way. I still think your’s is the best e-commerce platform out there. but this functionality must be included/fixed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kuroro21

was just looking at the database to see how to make several products use the same custom option. Well, the way the tables are laid out, you can’t do that!  They have put the product ID into the option table, and put the option ID into the option title and value tables. So they are all tied together backwards!

Regards

Kuroro

______
dossier surendettement

Magento Community
Magento Community

MUSHEZ

Total Posts:  20

Off topic, but does anyone know how one can add more than 15 simple products to a bundled product?  Just doesn’t allow you to add more than 15, and drops off your last options as if there is some limit.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shipkit

Total Posts:  2

As a quick solution to add Custom Options to bundled products with dynamic prices you may try to tweak prepareProductSave method in app/code/core/Mage/Bundle/Model/Observer.php, namely just comment some code out as follows:

/*
        if ($product->getPriceType() == '0' && !$product->getOptionsReadonly()) {
            $product->setCanSaveCustomOptions(true);
            if ($customOptions = $product->getProductOptions()) {
                foreach (array_keys($customOptions) as $key) {
                    $customOptions[$key]['is_delete'] = 1;
                }
                $product->setProductOptions($customOptions);
            }
        }
*/

To get rid of “Bundle with dynamic pricing cannot include custom defined options. Options will not be saved.” message you should hack app/design/adminhtml/default/default/template/catalog/product/edit/options.phtml template

//show error message
/*
if ($('price_type')) {
    if ($('price_type').value == '0' && $('dynamic-price-warrning')) {
        $('dynamic-price-warrning').show();
    }
}
*/

Magento Community
Magento Community

bristweb

Total Posts:  15

vote for customizable products in bundled products

Magento Community
Magento Community

benz001

Total Posts:  238
Sydney

In 1.3.2.4 I can add simple products with custom options to a bundle, so long as none of the custom options are required fields.
I’m also able to add custom options to the bundled product itself.

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

Total Posts:  227
San Diego, CA

Hi All,

If there is a need to bundle configurable products together, we\’ve built this functionality into a Magento extension.

See here: http://store.eliasinteractive.com/configurable-bundle-module.html

Cheers!
Lee

Magento Community
Magento Community

grazzt

Total Posts:  106

shipkit - 26 November 2009 03:17 AM

As a quick solution to add Custom Options to bundled products with dynamic prices you may try to tweak prepareProductSave method in app/code/core/Mage/Bundle/Model/Observer.php, namely just comment some code out as follows:

/*
                }
            }
        }
*/

To get rid of “Bundle with dynamic pricing cannot include custom defined options. Options will not be saved.” message you should hack app/design/adminhtml/default/default/template/catalog/product/edit/options.phtml template

//show error message
/*
if ($('price_type')) {
    }
}
*/

THIS WORKS!! Thank you so much, you saved me! So simple solution but yet perfect!! For the record, i use Magento 1.4.

Magento Community
Magento Community

helenhunt

Well, the way the tables are laid out, you can’t do that!  They have put the product ID into the option table, and put the option ID into the option title and value tables. So they are all tied together backwards!

Rhino Batteries

Magento Community
Magento Community

bristweb

Total Posts:  15

/*
                }
            }
        }
*/

//show error message
/*
if ($('price_type')) {
    }
}
*/

this is exactly what i needed and works! (also using 1.4) custom options pricing is quirky, but we don’t charge for the custom options so its no problem

Magento Community
Magento Community

LazyMech

Total Posts:  26

/*
                }
            }
        }
*/

//show error message
/*
if ($('price_type')) {
    }
}
*/

@Shipkit!!!! YOU SAVED MY DAY!!!!! :) This trick works like a charm on my store!

Simply:

I have a bundled product made of 5 simple products and i can add a custom field to this product (like text area, dropdown, etc)! So i can customize the bundled product now!!! Thanks again man!

BTW i am on Magento 1.4.1.0

Magento Community
Magento Community

millboy

Total Posts:  30

Any chance this can help me add Custom Options on a Grouped Product?

I sell sofa’s and I like to offer different colors for the grouped items…

Thanks y’all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cthaele

Total Posts:  2

The Problem is the trick doesn’t work when any custom option has a price. In the Cart will doesn’t show the correct total value. the price of the custom option is not saved in the cart.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mohsinkhan

Total Posts:  11

Hi Benz001,
I tried your solution and it worked for me.
Also I have posted your solution on this thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/newreply/279205/
Thanks..

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3