Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to create a new Promotional Products module

Shashank

Total Posts:  8

How to create a new Promotional Products module and show it in the right side module bar at the front end. I need to create a module for promotional products which are shown at the home page or any other page by default as a block / module in the right side of page.

what should I do to create and show this block or module? There is also a module for Promotional Products in the Admin Section. But how can I use it to accomplish my goal.

I have the design and can show u what exactly I want. Please look at the attached image.

Image Attachments
promotional_products.JPG

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Honestly, you’re best off using a promotional category and duplicating your promotional items into that category temporarily. If you disable categories in your url, you won’t experience duplicate product pages, plus you can apply a unique style to the specials category. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shashank

Total Posts:  8

Hi Scott,

Thanks for giving ur time. But what I want to ask, I have still not got that exactly.
Actually I have to fetch information of promotional products and show them as a new module at the front end. As u can see the attached image, I need to create a Promotional Product Module which has a Product image and a little description of that product which can be viewed in detail (at some other page) by clicking on the link.
Actually I have just started using Magento, so I dont have much knowledge about this. My problem is that, I dont know how to create a module, show and manage it.
Please help me!
Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

Well, that depends on what your exact requirements are. I understand the need for promotional products on the homepage and on the category page, but do you want the promotional products to change across categories? So, on home you have a promotional product. Then cat A has promo product A and cat be has promo product B? Or, can all categories have the same promotional product? The reason I asked is that this topic has been covered a couple of times in varying degrees throughout the forum. Check the Wiki, there’s an article on creating a “featured product”, ie promotional product. That should be a good starting point. It will walk you through all necessary steps to set up something that should meet your requirements. The only thing you’ll have to change, is the layout position to achieve a right column presentation. Take a look, though and see how far you get.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how_to_create_a_featured_product

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

Scott - 16 August 2008 08:25 PM

Honestly, you’re best off using a promotional category and duplicating your promotional items into that category temporarily. If you disable categories in your url, you won’t experience duplicate product pages, plus you can apply a unique style to the specials category. smile

Two things:

1-- I think Shashank has a valid point about the promotional box being a “module”, so you can run a promotion and the box always shows what’s on sale. You shouldn’t have to mess with it manually. I know my client won’t understand what to do.

2-- When you say “disable categories in your url”, what exactly does that mean?  I saw this thread about 2 urls for pages and if you have a simple solution for that, everyone would like to know!

dan_w - 19 August 2008 06:03 AM

Check the Wiki, there’s an article on creating a “featured product”, ie promotional product. That should be a good starting point. It will walk you through all necessary steps to set up something that should meet your requirements. The only thing you’ll have to change, is the layout position to achieve a right column presentation. Take a look, though and see how far you get.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how_to_create_a_featured_product

I started to follow that featured product thing, but stopped when I saw that it was just a manual process, unrelated to the promotions you can set in the backend. There should be an easier way to add things like that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

diegogodin

Total Posts:  37

Recently a new magento extension has been released which is called Promotional gift extension that allows you to create a separate Promotional Gift page showing all Promotional Gift programs and all products with free gifts

You can try using its demo version here :
Front-end demo
Sandbox front-end demo
Sandbox back-end demo

Thanks ^^

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChrisPitchford

Total Posts:  4

Hello

I have just read a article about Promotional Products Module, with very good price, and, highly recommended, you can see more reference at here: - ONLY $39 -
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/catalog/product/view/id/16633/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Attan

Total Posts:  23

I tried the Promotional Gift extension and was very impressed! This extensions works great, just how it is described. It also works with configurable product, bundle product and grouped product. Most of the free gift extensions only work with simple products. So I definitely recommend this one http://www.magestore.com/magento-promotional-gift-extension.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Shashank - 13 August 2008 02:33 AM

How to create a new Promotional Products module and show it in the right side module bar at the front end. I need to create a module for promotional products which are shown at the home page or any other page by default as a block / module in the right side of page.

what should I do to create and show this block or module? There is also a module for Promotional Products in the Admin Section. But how can I use it to accomplish my goal.

I have the design and can show u what exactly I want. Please look at the attached image.

Hello, as an alternative solution you may take a look at the Special Promotions module + Promo Banners (to inform customers about the promotions).

With this combination you can create the rules like: ‘Buy X, get Y’ and inform customers about the promotions.

For example: A customer adds to cart 2 shirts and above the cart he/she sees the banner offering to add a pair of shoes with a discount. In case you’ve specified several product SKU’s, the customer will get the opportunity to choose one of the promotional items among the products you’ve specified in the rule. As you can see, the tool enables you to offer not only simple products as promotional items, but configurable ones as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community