Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

ADD SOME SPEED! It’s SLOW! 

Ron Peled

Total Posts:  18
Los Angeles

As I am getting more and more familiar with the Magento core, I realize that Magento is built based on best practices in computer science. So, all in all it is a great codebase. It is just unfortunate that great codebase and great flexibility leads to poor performance. I guess, this is where we need to apply the other half of our computer science and speed magento up in other ways.

With that said, I still think that there should be a way to save individual parts of a product or a whole collection of items at the DB level. Perhaps this will come in the next generations of magento.

-Ron

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tiagomatos

Total Posts:  10

With a proper server configuration (Nginx + eAccelerator + Varnish ) on our testing server we were able to drop from 6+ sec load page to a fraction of it.

Give it a look…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Peled

Total Posts:  18
Los Angeles

Yes, we had made similar changes: Apache + FCGID + APC+ SQUID.

notice that while we evaluated your setup, we found reports of non stability issues, plus Nginx and Varnish are still in experimentation versions. We are now seen <200ms per page load. Our only culprit at this point are the session managed pages (checkout, my account, admin) which cannot be cached at this point in time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ANDY-UK

Total Posts:  29

I’m getting 5 to 20 seconds for adding to cart and 50 to 180 seconds to place an order.

Server is dedicated, brand new with rackspace and i’ve had server/magento optomization done. Pages load very fast with cache but add to cart etc is very slow.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Appmerce
Guru

Total Posts:  376
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

ANDY-UK - 08 February 2010 08:24 AM

I’m getting 5 to 20 seconds for adding to cart and 50 to 180 seconds to place an order.

Server is dedicated, brand new with rackspace and i’ve had server/magento optomization done. Pages load very fast with cache but add to cart etc is very slow.

Had a similar issue once, in my case a third party module decided to walk through the entire database before submitting. Cant remember which extensions anymore, but I suggest to check if any of your modules interfere with the checkout.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ANDY-UK

Total Posts:  29

Interesting as I am using http://www.aitoc.com/en/magentomods_checkoutfieldsmanager.html which is a checkout plugin but my backend of editing a bundle product takes a good 30 to 40 seconds to process.

Rackspace emailed me today to say…

While investigating I did confirm the site slowness but I do not think it is related to MySQL. Your slow query log is set to log queries longer than a second, but no queries were logged while browsing your pages and adding items to my cart. Apache, however, was consuming a great deal of CPU so I think focusing on making PHP faster is probably your best bet.

If this was the case do you they are saying its the actual code which is causing it to run slow and not the time its taking to do everything in mysql?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  908
URL: turnkeye.com

Magento is fast on optimized servers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  908
URL: turnkeye.com

Check our demo on NginX:
http://demomagento.nginxhosting.com/magento/

Note that official Magento demo is also running on Nginx web server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

whitecube

Total Posts:  11
Amsterdam - Holland

Configure your MySQL server! This will improve the performance greatly. Be aware that Magento uses InnoDB. There are several pages on the Magento site that give information about this. See for example this blogpost or this external link. There’s also a white paper by Varien in which MySQL improvements are mentioned. This is really the key to better performance. We noticed a lot of high load averages on our servers. But since we reconfigured MySQL, performance went way up. Never use the basic MySQL configuration out-of-the-box.

Magento Community
Magento Community

webscot

Total Posts:  192

@Turnkeye

I wish this were the case for us, but we have tested 3 different servers including a VPS and a dedicated with nginx, eaccelerator, memcached, etc, and we still have slow load times of 6-13 seconds.

I think these demo sites are totally unrealistic being that they don’t seem to have any extensions and only about 20 products.

How many people are using this thing out of the box, with no customizing of their site and only 20 products?

This whole thing is just frustrating because we have been fighting with this issue for more than 2 months with 3 hosts…

Magento Community
Magento Community

OpenCommerce

Total Posts:  84
Cincinnati, OH

Page load times are still a major issue with Magento. If you are experiencing poor page load times you have 2 options. Either spend big bucks to beef up your servers and that doesn’t always work or you could consider our LightSpeed or Speed Booster modules. LightSpeed uses full page caching and Speed Booster helps you optimize Magento’s base block caching. Both modules will reduce server strain as traffic increases on your site, allowing you to employ less server resources.

http://www.delorumcommerce.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

chaproo

Total Posts:  48

Sounds like an excellent extension to speed things up but the prices are way out of my league..imo magento speed has improved with new versions but still has a long way to get to 100 percent speed!

Magento Community
Magento Community

haskell

Total Posts:  20

chaproo - 01 July 2010 10:59 AM

Sounds like an excellent extension to speed things up but the prices are way out of my league..imo magento speed has improved with new versions but still has a long way to get to 100 percent speed!

it would infact be out of most people’s league and add on to it the fact the pricing is based on per domain, becomes an expensive exercise very quickly !

Magento Community
Magento Community

tiagomatos

Total Posts:  10

@webscot “This whole thing is just frustrating because we have been fighting with this issue for more than 2 months with 3 hosts… “

It’s totally understandable.

We have moved our Magento instalation (at the time holding +200 stores/some thousands of products - http://vendder.com) to a dedicated Amazon EC2 instance from a shared hosting.

We have customized and EC2 image ( http://widetail.com/2010/02/18/amazon-ec2-instance-for-magento/ ) that has been quite popular using PHP 5.2.13 / MySQL / PHP-FPM / Varnish. Fooman CSS/JS merging also helped. We’ve been tweaking for ourselves and some clients with similar needs.

A default Magento installation page load is around 500-700ms.

Magento is a big monster.. we just need to know how to domesticate a bit.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brimllc

Total Posts:  11
Cincinnati, OH

Magento is a memory hungry application.  The more you have the better… Magento generally does not perform very well on shared hosts.

Database tuning is very important.  The more of the database you can store in memory the better, if innodb_buffer_pool_size has not been increased from the default 8M you are going to run into a lot of problems.  http://mysqltuner.pl/ is a great little script that will tell you how big your table space is and what your buffer size is.

We have recently released a Full Page Cache to give you that extra boost for your Magento store.  On a properly configured site you can get sub 150ms page load times.  It also supports recently viewed products, shopping carts, compare products, and more.  http://ecommerce.brimllc.com/performance/full-page-cache-magento.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community