Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

ADD SOME SPEED! It’s SLOW! 

digital dawg

Total Posts:  16

It’s not as slow as some would make it out to be. If you’re running it on a $6.99/month shared server hosting plan, you’ll probably be able to watch paint dry or watch trees grow when browsing from one product to another in the catalog. But, if you’re running it on a VPS plan or dedicated server, its speed is not so bad. That being said, it DOES need to be faster. It has a massive amount of features and functionality as it is, and bloating it with more bells and whistles before giving it the speed that it needs would be a major setback to helping it achieve early dominance, IMHO. I really hope the dev team are focusing all their efforts on speed right now, and not more features.

Thanks for an amazing product ... I’m enjoying the ride so far!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mencargo

Total Posts:  45

Hi guys, you may find one big reason for the slowness of Magento here:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/236/
One word: Prototype
Two words: Prototype + Scriptaculous

So please, support the motion and ask for jQuery!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alaa Abdelhaq

Total Posts:  5
Amman

magento is very slow on my local machine!!!!
I don’t believe any special server configuration will do any magic!
the main reason I guess it was build on Zend framework, zend framework it self is slow,
so what do you think of a huge application build over the zend framework?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Parsoya

Total Posts:  6
Ahmedabad Gujarat India

Can anyone have Idea to check the performance in Magento ??  As we see in CakePHP it provide the facilities by and run the whole system in debugging mode i.e core level 3 ..Is there any similar facilities available so we can know the time consuming in each query which run during that particular action ??

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

Hello,

Parsoya - 18 September 2008 03:04 AM

Can anyone have Idea to check the performance in Magento ??  As we see in CakePHP it provide the facilities by and run the whole system in debugging mode i.e core level 3 ..Is there any similar facilities available so we can know the time consuming in each query which run during that particular action ??

Try this -

admin -> system -> configuration -> advanced -> developer -> debug == ON

On the footer of your pages you should now have timing/debugging information.

Hope this helps you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

APC makes a big difference for me. It’s not slow at all if you give it a home it deserves.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Parsoya

Ahmedabad Gujarat India

Thanks for the reply. Little bit solved the problem but still I want to print all the query and time consuming for it in that particular action which I am unable to find here. It just directly show me the “ Memory usage: real, emalloc” but could not show where the actual memory has been consumed. Can any way to be done in this framework ??

Magento Community
Magento Community

Unirgy
Guru

Total Posts:  478

@Parsoya: edit index.php and uncomment Varien_Profiler::enable();

Magento Community
Magento Community

afterspark

Total Posts:  12

The only way to get Magento to run at a halfway decent speed is to fork over hundreds of dollars a month for special hosting....kinda defeats the purpose of a free cart huh?

Thanks Varien! :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

afterspark - 19 September 2008 06:08 AM

The only way to get Magento to run at a halfway decent speed is to fork over hundreds of dollars a month for special hosting....kinda defeats the purpose of a free cart huh?

I think there’s only one thing to say to ungrateful and sarcastic comments like these. Go write your own frigging e-commerce platform.

Magento is comprehensive., capable of big things. It’s only logical it requires comprehensive gear to run on. It does not defeat any purpose. The fact it’s free has absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact, quite at the contrary, its hosting requirements serve the purpose.

Anyone who can only afford $9.99 a month in hosting and thus only expects to turn over maybe $5,000 annually should not play with grown-up people’s toys and go back to inferior free packages of which there are plenty.

If you don’t like it, rewrite it and make it better. It’s your right as it’s Open Source. You are free to do something about it. Unconstructive complaints serve no purpose.

Magento Community
Magento Community

K4doyle

Total Posts:  12

I’m on a fast service, but it still a little slow on first page load.  I enabled gzip compression in the htaccess file and it speeded it up quite a bit. 

look for my post in his thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/7100/

However, I woul dlkie a speed increase in the back end when using admin.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Parsoya

Ahmedabad Gujarat India

Unirgy - 18 September 2008 09:11 PM

@Parsoya: edit index.php and uncomment Varien_Profiler::enable();

Thanks a Lot Unirgy, It’s working and giving much minute details of each action.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

true that you may not get the performance you want out of sub $10 hosting, but for $20/month, you can get exceptional speeds and performance. much lower than hundreds of dollars price range.

Magento Community
Magento Community

misteroriginal

Total Posts:  48

afterspark - 19 September 2008 06:08 AM

Actually, Magento is “free” as in freedom of speech, not free beer. You are free to find out how to make Magento lightning fast because you have free access to the source code.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

heh i just love those type of responses =)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community