Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to make products appear on the front page? 

Allysin

Total Posts:  215

Hi,

I’m sorry to ask this but I really can’t figure this out. I know it’s a simple question - I read the manual but its difficult for me to all understand...anyway, here is my question:

How do I make the producst from a certain category appear on the front page? I looked for making the category default or something like that but really can’t find it anywhere.

Thanks a lot!  kiss

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiaraweb
Guru

Total Posts:  721
Aviano ~ Italy

Hi Alysin

you must go to backend, CMS-> manage pages -> find home page the edit and add this code

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="14" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

inside content text area

instead 14 you must put the number of your category

you can find the number under catalog-> categories

Magento Community
Magento Community

Allysin

Total Posts:  215

Hi and thank you for trying to help! grin

I’ve followed the steps and the only problem I have is that I can’t find a category number where you said to look for it… it just shows me the category name and the number in paranteses which indicates how many products there are in the given category…

How would I work around this? And what if I wanted to make a compilation of certain products which I would choose from all the different categories and display them on the front page?

Thanks again! grin

Allysin

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

The category id you will find in your browser address field, if you are in the backend, select Catalog, Categories, and then chose the wanted category.

It will then look like this: http://yourdomain.com/index.php/admin/catalog_category/edit/id/22/ (where 22 of course is the category number)

How to make a compilation of certain products: A product can be assigned to several product categories. So just make a new category like “Front Page” (or rename a category), that you use for products to be displayed on the front page. In the demo database there are two hidden categories that is perfect for this.
Asign any products you like to this category, and chose the category id to display them on the front page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bdwelle

Total Posts:  2

Thanks for this answer - I was trying for an hour or two to figure out the same thing!! This should really be in the manual - otherwise people are going to wonder why there is nothing showing up on the home page!!

thx

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

You are welcome. One tip: use the search function (top left corner of this site). There is already so much information available on the forum, it is just a question of looking it up (then you don’t have to wait for a reply on the forum).

Magento Community
Magento Community

screege

Total Posts:  107

Is there a way to put only new products?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

turbo1

Total Posts:  296
Los Angeles, CA

Hello,
Is there a way to show something other than a list? For example, show it automatically as a grid or gallery format?  I tried changing the code to

{{block type="catalog/product_gallery" category_id="16" template="catalog/product/gallery.phtml"}}

but that didn’t work.  confused

Magento Community
Magento Community

storeonline123

Total Posts:  68

I’ve used to have the same question about display products on the front page. Here is a Thread which may help you out.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/16823/
good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

TechNWeb LLC

Total Posts:  44
Austin, TX

Is there a way to display items from 2 separate categories?  such as New Arrivals and Featured Products??
It seems that when I do this:
<div>{{block type="catalog/product_gallery" category_id="16" template="catalog/product/gallery.phtml"}}</div>
<div>{{block type="catalog/product_gallery" category_id="100" template="catalog/product/gallery.phtml"}} </div>

Both blocks show items from category 16....It seems product collection does not get reset as it should.... any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Older (and long thread) but full of good information: (and also the exact topic - remember to use the search bar on the top of the screen!!)

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4454/

Magento Community
Magento Community

TechNWeb LLC

Total Posts:  44
Austin, TX

Yes was just about to reply saying that i found it, tried that and it worked. Thank you smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

cogder

Total Posts:  13

Is there anyway you can show a product rather than a category ie full description etc

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community