Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How and why to set up attributes? 

mountndew

Total Posts:  13

I have been reading all the stuff I can find on this site about attributes and attribute sets. Can someone break it down into idiot terms please. I know it is something I have to learn and utilize, but for the life of me...it is just not clear to me how to set them up and exactly what each does. maybe an if you set this it will do that kind of description, I don’t know. But I will be very greatful to anyone with any information that could help in the capture of this concept.  sick
thanks for your time in advance,
Desperate

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ericleeclark

Total Posts:  40
Muncie, IN

mountndew,

Think of attributes as any property of a product. Attributes describe the product. Things like the product title, price, images, manufacturer, etc. are attributes.

Say for example you are selling shoes. You’d want to define the price, title and description attributes at a minimum. Without it, customers won’t have that information.

You can create your own attributes depending on your needs. It’s all about providing relevant information to the customers so they have all the information they need to make a buying decision.

Here’s a helpful knowledge base article:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/how-do-attributes-work-in-magento

Magento comes with standard attributes configured, but adding new ones is simple: In the admin section go to Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes and click “Add New Attribute”.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mountndew

Total Posts:  13

ABSOLUTELY what I needed. Thank you so much!

Highly impressed with your quick response.

Thank you,
Grateful
grin Happy happy happy, off to work the magento attributes tonight.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ericleeclark

Total Posts:  40
Muncie, IN

Glad to help!

Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community