Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Emails blocked by Spam filter

markl

Total Posts:  39

Hi,

I’m having trouble with the ‘New Order’ email template. My site is almost ready to go live and I thought I’d put a test order through. Everything went ok in the backend, but the customer didn’t receive an email confirmation and neither did I. I am running Symantec mail security for Microsoft Exchange and I have found that it was rejecting the email immediately. The customer I’m not so sure about, as they will have their own anti-spam measures. all I know, is that it didn’t get through.

I’ve since put the sales address into the whitelist of my Symantec anti-spam application and have tested using one of those online freebie email accounts (with no anti-spam) on the customer side and both emails came through fine.

My next step was to customise the existing template and take myself out of the whitelist. After doing this, my own spam filter would let the mail through, but the customer received nothing. I can send the customer an email via the contact form, but there is something about the html or content of that ‘New order’ email template that is making it look like spam. I should mention that reverse dns is setup and working fine, so that’s not the issue.

I’ve copied and pasted the code into one of those online spam scoring utilies, but it comes out with a very low SCL of about 0.3. Is there anyone out there that knows a thing or two about spam scoring and why this email template is getting rejected? If it’s happening to me, surely others must be suffering to?

Thanks,

Mark

ps. I’m on the latest version (1.1.2)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Can be due to many reasons. Is the sending IP perhaps blacklisted? See spamhaus.org etc.

You can also check the logs of the spam filter to see which tokens it regarded as ham as which as spam.

You may also want to critically go through the contents and see which words are in common with your usual spam garbage. “Buy”, “Cheap”, “Order” etc. as well as links and images can all add up to a spam score over the filter’s threshold. Keep it minimal.

Magento Community
Magento Community

markl

Thanks for advice JT! I’ve checked that my IP isn’t on any of the blacklists, but maybe a bit of experimentation with the template will do the trick. I’ll post back here once I get it working.

Thanks,

Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community

markl

I’ve just tried stripping out the new order email template, so the subject line just says ‘test email’ and it still doesn’t get through.

I’ve also found out that the customer’s server is running spam assassin and I’m wandering how ruthless this software is??? I’ve never used the software before, but wandered if it could now be blocking me regardless of email content due to the number of emails sent yesterday using the default template, which I know is detected as spam?

Anyone out there know if spam assassin could be doing this?

Thanks,

Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community

radders

Total Posts:  162

Spam Assassin can be set at different levels and has the ability to whitelist or blacklist. I find that a required score of 7 lets though most important stuff and rejects most of the spam, however if it is set at 5 or below then it might be blocking your emails.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community