Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Newsletter system integration

digital daz

Total Posts:  8
UK

I use Campaign Monitor / MailBuild for sending newsletters for my clients, they provide easy to use API which can easily be integrated into my clients websites, which I presume I will be able to do with Magento?

In the same way we can select payment providers will you be developing a feature whereby we can select from a choice of newsletter providers?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

barney

Total Posts:  1

That would be an interesting approach to the newsletter feature, but probably not what the developers have in mind. It might be a great idea for a user contributed ADD-On module.

I ‘am assuming that magento would have a newletter module built into it that would allow site owners to send their newsletters from the administration area. Customers would have the option of receiving the newsletter when they fill out the form for purchase/account. Also there would be a newsletter subscription form where people can also sign up for the newsletter without purchasing. That would be an ideal set up to get the maximum subscribers.

One HUGE factor in any newsletter module is to have the ability to send (distribute) the newsletter at a speed that does not flood the server. Generally referred to as batch processing, it is used in Expression Engine’s newsletter module. When you have subscriber list in the thousands, you must avoid flooding the server while sending your newsletter. Application like PHP List and DADA Mail both have features where you can set the distribution rate to a stream that is acceptable by your hosting service. All shared hosting services have limits on how many emails an account can send.

Are the developers of Magento building this feature into their newsletter module? It is really a must have feature. Without it newsletter distributions will crash servers and get account owners into trouble with there hosting company.

Thank you for your support,
Barney

Magento Community
Magento Community

digital daz

UK

Hi,

That’s why I use a 3rd party like MailBuild because the newsletters are sent from their servers rather than mine.

I’ce had a peak at Magento admin and there’s a newsletter system built in but as i mentioned I would prefer to use a 3rd party, so built in integration would be great.

Darren

barney - 13 November 2007 04:05 AM

That would be an interesting approach to the newsletter feature, but probably not what the developers have in mind. It might be a great idea for a user contributed ADD-On module.

I ‘am assuming that magento would have a newlsetter module built into it that would allow site owners to send their newsletters from the administration area. Customers would have the option of receiving the newsletter when they fill out the form for purchase/account. Also there would be a newsletter subscription form where people can also sign up for the newsletter without purchasing. That would be an ideal set up to get the maximum subscribers.

One HUGE factor in any newsletter module is to have the ability to send (distribute) the newsletter at a speed that does not flood the server. Generally referred to as batch processing, it is used in Expression Engine’s newsletter module. When you have subscriber list in the thousands, you must avoid flooding the server while sending your newsletter. Application like PHP List and DADA Mail both have features where you can set the distribution rate to a stream that is acceptable by your hosting service. All shared hosting services have limits on how many emails an account can send.

Are the developers of Magento building this feature into their newsletter module? It is really a must have feature. Without it newsletter distributions will crash servers and get account owners into trouble with there hosting company.

Thank you for your support,
Barney

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

If you are looking to get the most out of email marketing, we recommend integrating with 3rd party products (such as campaign monitor, mailbuild, etc.). Magento’s newsletter system is basic and I don’t expect it will ever provide the same level of reporting and functionality as products that are focused on this segment do.

Our current community site is fully integrated with campaignmonitor, btw smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

digital daz

UK

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the reply that was my question really, I use campaignmonitor with my current sites but was interested to know if you’ll be offering an option in the admin whereby you could choose your prefered provider? i.e. in the same way you can choose a payment provider.
Thanks,
Darren

RoyRubin - 13 November 2007 06:04 AM

If you are looking to get the most out of email marketing, we recommend integrating with 3rd party products (such as campaign monitor, mailbuild, etc.). Magento’s newsletter system is basic and I don’t expect it will ever provide the same level of reporting and functionality as products that are focused on this segment do.

Our current community site is fully integrated with campaignmonitor, btw smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

Not out-of-the-box initially (although we’ve had a discussion about this internally). It is possible to have a module that will achieve this integration, naturally.

Magento Community
Magento Community

digital daz

UK

Well Campaign Monitor provide great API so it’s pretty easy to integrate, I guess I’m just being lazy!

RoyRubin - 13 November 2007 06:11 AM

Not out-of-the-box initially (although we’ve had a discussion about this internally). It is possible to have a module that will achieve this integration, naturally.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

It does have a great API (I recommend using the list segmenting which could be very powerful).

Magento Community
Magento Community

digital daz

UK

I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone develop an add-on that fits nicely into Magento, I’ve seen a few companies develop their own Campaign Monitor like systems using the API so it’s probably very doable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lopo

Total Posts:  30

For those wishing to integrate a internal newsletter there is some code made for the competition that could easly be ported to Magento.

PHPList for osCommerce: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3976
Newsletters & Subscribers: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,535

Integration of Campaign Monitor would be even faster since the guys at FoxyCart already did some work: http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration:campaign_monitor

Enjoy!

Magento Community
Magento Community

newnomad

I personally like http://pommo.org/ a lot as newslettersystem, but might consider ‘downgrading’ to Magento’s default system.

To judge that decision I would like to know how it is build up (does it use http://www.swiftmailer.org/ ?): Just how basic is it?
Does it feature throttling of messages? Bounce management and link tracking could be missed. Is there a comprehensive list of it’s features on here somewhere?

Magento Community
Magento Community

evdat

Total Posts:  35
Carthage, MO

Fontis created a CM module for Magento:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/494/fontis-campaign-monitor

I downloaded it before the 0.7 version and noticed it was broken due to some changes made to the CM API. It turned out what I needed was different then what the Fontis module provided anyway, so I wrote my own module for Campaign Monitor. The Fontis module only allows you to have a single list from Campaign Monitor on the Magento site.

I built an admin interface that allows you to put in your CM API Key, and then at the website level you can see a list of Client IDs to enter in if you don’t already have a Client ID stored in the config. Once a Client ID is stored it lists all the available List IDs for that client, and you can add and remove lists to that website. Once the List ID is added from a drop down list you can label it for how you want it to appear in Magento.

Because the config settings are different for separate websites you could manage a multi-site install having a separate Client in Campaign Monitor for each, and/or select different lists for different sites.

I added the ability to send over custom fields to Campaign Monitor, though not quite as nice as the way Fontis does it. I ended up hard coding mine in to save time on the development. I made it so that it sends over the default billing address information with a subscription request so that Campaign Monitor would also have physical address information, and not just the email. I did this because my client wanted to use it to manage a mailing list for a paper catalog that will be sent out via mail. An odd way to manage a list, but it allows him to manage it with a checkbox right along with the other subscription lists in one spot. He can export the contents from Campaign Monitor’s admin site when he goes to do a mailing.

Under the Custom Account section in Newsletter instead of listing the single Magento newsletter checkbox I have the module listing a checkbox for each list selected in the website config. If the user is subscribed to that list, it marks it as checked. If the user is not subscribed then the box is unchecked. When a hits the save button at the bottom the module evaluates what boxes were checked and unchecked and subscribes or unsubscribes the users from the appropriate lists on Campaign Monitor.

We are about to put this module into production now, and I’ve thought about releasing the module on Magento Connect but haven’t taken the time yet to figure out what’s involved in releasing a module on Magento Connect yet. There are also probably a few areas I’d like to polish off with the module before releasing it to the general public. If anyone would like to give me some kind of incentive towards finishing it off and packaging it up, I’m open to the idea. grin

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community