Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrade and backup process

rabideau

Total Posts:  28

I apologize if this is posted elsewhere but below is a process I followed that worked in performing an upgrade plus left me with backed up versions of the old DB and files.  I hope someone finds this helpful.

Steps include:

# DB backup and new DB creation

* create sql backup of your “old” magento DB using phpmyadmin or similar
* create new DB on your server
* using phpmyadmin or similar import the previous DB content (sql) into your “new” DB
* edit local.xml to point to the “new” DB

# download “new version” of magento

* unpack new version of magento on “local machine”

# copy /app/frontend/"theme" and /skin/frontend/"theme" directories from your website to the new version of magento on your “local machine”
* copy /app/etc/local.xml from your server to your “local machine” (similar to the above step)
* copy local.xml to the /app/etc/ directory of the “new version” of magento on your “local machine”

# upload the new version of magento (with your merged critical files from above) to your webserver (if the FTP gods will allow, this will occur on the first attempt--- although it never does for me)

# once the “new version” of magento is uploaded on your web host, rename your old magento site (to save it for possible restore/ backup)

# rename the “new version” of magento to represent your website naming convention = to the old site name

# run the site and everything should work! PLUS you will have a new clean DB and a backup of the old version of your site! Such a deal!

Good luck!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Danashton

Total Posts:  50

Hi

Can you confirm that you successfully upgraded to the new faster, better version of magento using this process and didn’t experience all of the problems that the rest of us faced (I have had to revert to my previous version)? Did you do this with a customised version of magento (eg products, different skin etc)?

If so, this could just about save my life!

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rabideau

I moved from 1.0.9 to 1.1.2 ... I have a customized theme.. and yes I also died several times following the magento published process.

btw. I did this yet a second time today on to another machine and it worked!

I hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Maybe I’m missing something but from personal experience I don’t see how this could possibly work.

There are 3 issues:

1) The DB schema has changed between versions - but you are just copying the old to the new - how do you get the changes in?
2) You have mentioned no changes to the custom themes - if you read the wiki article http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/upgrading_magento_themes_for_the_latest_releases then you can see there are extensive changes required to any theme
3) What about any additional installations you have made e.g. new payment modules, core code changes - all these would be lost?

Please correct me if I am wrong - I’m extremely interested to know. I’ve successfully upgrade from 1.0 to 1.2 and my experience has been that there is quite a lot of debugging and custom changes to be made to get it to work.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

rabideau

Hi Birches.  Responses are in line below…

1) The DB schema has changed between versions - but you are just copying the old to the new - how do you get the changes in?
--- once you login the upgrade occurs same as with the other processes

2) You have mentioned no changes to the custom themes - if you read the wiki article http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/upgrading_magento_themes_for_the_latest_releases then you can see there are extensive changes required to any theme
--- that’s exactly why I do it this way.  If you track what items have been changed, then the upgrade is ‘easier’ not easy ; generally I try the new standard theme and then move to mine custom theme and modify those components thatbreak.  If look around this site you’ll find numerous posting from me indicating where I have hit problems before.  I agree magento could do this better but it is not insurmountable

3) What about any additional installations you have made e.g. new payment modules, core code changes - all these would be lost?
--- yes.  my recommendation is to NEVER change core files.  If you do you are on your own to fix them.  Like you I have some… but they come with great risk in an upgrade.

I hope this helps…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community