Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I set up a basic MySQL database for Magento

lieven23

Total Posts:  19
Belgium

Is there somewhere information available of Magento for building a very basic MySQL database it needs?
Do I have to learn all about coding in MySQL to be able to build a working magento store?
Is writing MySQL databases always have to be done hand coded? If no , are there no specific MySQL programs that can help you do the same job but than with an interface where you can put the different values.

Thx,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Check your host to see if you have phpMyAdmin - a GUI to MySQL.

With phpMyAdmin, making the required Magento database and a user is a matter of a few clicks.

Though equally as simple, making it form the command line is as simple as 3 or 4 line commands .

It starts with checking with your host really.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

all you need to do is create the database - which is a very simple process (Magento does the rest, creates all your tables and manages the data itself). You do not need to learn any coding.

All you need to know are:
1) Create a database (usually you do this via your cpanel or other web admin.)
2) Create a user for that database, and “connect” that user to your databsae.

These steps are fairly clear when you see the section to do it in cpanel - the steps are different depending on your hosting, though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

maxseven

Total Posts:  1

With cPanel ->Go to Host->choose->MypHpAdmin-> middle right half way down->make new database->enter [ magento ] in box hit enter you’re done with database config is trickier really much easier to have hosting company install

On your Windows machine make test server is great way to test Magento You really need to do this it’s a big ol pile of spaghetti in a lot of ways.You are definitely going to want to see if you can handle it before comitting
Download XAMPP follow instructions really pretty simple. You have to change a few files configuration scheme is all over web just do search [configuration magento xampp] If you can explain to me the thinking of nut case that did the CSS for this thing after you test it please let me know! Sayonara Good Luck

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community