Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Admin Center Suddenly Stopped working. 

violetweb

Total Posts:  26

When I choose to edit a category, the page just returns to itself.
When I try and add a product, same thing…
Does anyone know why this magically happened, and how to fix it?
Can’t change store view…
Can’t really do much of anything anymore.
Can I reinstall the admin center only?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

violetweb

Here I am posting my own reply.  It would seem that no one else has experienced this anomolie.
I am going through the painstakingly difficult task of reinstaling magento for the third time and I`m convinced that it is unstable.
If all of a sudden, the admin center stops working, and for no good reason; well, that`s unacceptable.  The last time I had to reinstall was when I had attempted to add a new Website store, all of a sudden I was receiving sql errors…
How can basic interaction with the admin center be causing a total breakdown in the application.
After reading these forums, I have reached the conclusion that Magento was written by developers for developers, and was never meant to be user-friendly… or easy to use on any level.  However, I`d settle for the learning curve if the product was stable!.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

As unfortunate as it sounds, you have to take in by what you get.

For a product such as Magento, least thing you can do to support Varien is by subscribing to their Support programs.
You’d get as much help as you’d need with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

violetweb

I would love to purchase support, but at $500 per year, its far too expensive.  I’m a freelancer, not a company with unlimited funds. 
Perhaps they could provide a pay-as-you go support feature for those of us with limited budgets.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bignm

Total Posts:  19
Texas

SimpleHelix.com - 10 August 2008 07:53 AM

As unfortunate as it sounds, you have to take in by what you get.

For a product such as Magento, least thing you can do to support Varien is by subscribing to their Support programs.
You’d get as much help as you’d need with it.

Dear SimpleHelix,

You have a valid point about supporting Magento feature development by subscribing to Varien’s support programs.  But when it’s a bug in the software, then Varien should be fixing that for free - even Microsoft does that through it’s Windows Update program.  If Open Source is going to continue to evolve, then I shudder to think what will happen if people start thinking that they have to buy support programs just to get the software to work at all.  Linux wouldn’t even exist if that were the philosophy behind it.

Tom

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community