Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I hide a product

mighty_g

Total Posts:  5

I’m brand new to Magento and I want to know how I can hide a product, figure out the url for the product and then email the link to the “customer”?

Basically, my client repairs items of clothing. The customer sends the item in for repair, they quote the cost of repair and at that point I want to create a unique, once-off, hidden product in the store, email the link to the customer and have them use the checkout features to handle payment and shipping.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

hey,

there is an option/field in the manage products page called visibiltiy. I “think” this might be what your after

hth
brendan

Image Attachments
ScreenShot00084.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

mighty_g

Hi Brendan

Thanks for the quick response. I tried the “visibility” field, but then struggled to figure out the url for the product. I see there is a “URL key” which defaulted to the product name and tried various entries in my browser, but couldn’t figure out the correct format. I also setup a Category and made it in/visible, but with no luck.

Gregg

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

London, United Kingdom

have you got url rewrites enabled or disabled?

if its disabled your product url should be something like..

http://www.mysite.com/index.php/category/productname.html

whereas enabled url rewrites would be..

http://www.mysite.com/category/productname.html

also you could try the cache management. try and refresh the catalog rewrites....

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

mighty_g

I’m testing this within the demo admin site so I’m not sure whether url rewrites are enabled or not.

PRODUCT

Name: Denim_VI9
URL key: denim-vi9

CATEGORY

Name: Denim_Jeans
Is Active: Yes

I tried the variations you mentioned (http://demo.magentocommerce.com/Denim_Jeans/Denim-VI9.html), but still no luck. I appreciate your patience and help.

Cheers,
Gregg

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

London, United Kingdom

hey,

i have the sneaking suspicion that the demo admin store is not linked to the front end.
The reason i say that is i just created a new category and it doesnt show up. So any changes your making in admin arent being refelected to the fron end store.

Can you download/install magento into a server/hosting co?.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mighty_g

That explains it. I’ll install Magento in the morning and try it againt. Thanks so much for all your help.

Cheers,
Gregg

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

Total Posts:  70

I don’t think you can use visiblity this way.  The if the product is “enabled” you can see it on the front end, if it is “disabled” you will not see it on the front end.  If the product is visible “nowhere” the product doesn’t show up on the front end.  If you set it to “search” it will show up in user searches, so you don’t want that.  I assigned the product to the top level default category (root cat) that is not visible on the front end.  The product is not in any category, but does show up here:  yourdomain.com/urlkey.html.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mighty_g

Thanks for the useful advice ramedia. I’ll try this and see whether it works for my situation.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community