Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Hide “advanced” attributes from general public, show to logged-in “professional” customers? 

silversand

Total Posts:  8

Is there a way to hide “advanced” attributes (about 20-25 per product) from the majority of visitors, but display them to a specific “Tier” of logged-in “Pro Users”? Similar to presenting one set of prices to “general users”, and another set of prices for “preferred customers”?

Our customer base includes end-users, as well as designers/architects/contractors. The two categories of customers have completely different levels of understanding - as well as different “need to know” areas.

On one hand, I would love to show the “Pro Users” every little detail about the product - which they need in order to integrate them into their design / production. On the other hand, most retail customers would be outright scared by a layered-navigation menu with 50+ items (which will include esoterica like “current phase”, “minimum reducible height”, and “control plate maximum thickness").

Can this be done? If so - how???

I have a last-resort tactic of setting up two separate stores (albeit driven by the same database/imagebase) - www.ExampleMyBrandRetail.com (general access, simple, cute, clean) and www.ExampleMyBrandProShop.com (passworded, with tons of technical scary info). However, I would rather not get into the organizational nightmare of multi-domain operations, if there’s a simple way to hide the attributes.

Any advice, even general pointers, would be much appreciated.

P.S. Magento is awesome. So is Crucial Web Hosting!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

This will require customization.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community