Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product-specific shipping costs/requirements

Bob S

Total Posts:  25

In the demo, I do not see any way to assign additional shipping costs to specific items that might require special handling (e.g., special shipping boxes). Also, we have certain products that have specific shipping requirements (e.g., items must ship by truck or frozen items that must ship overnight). Are there any plans to tie specific charges or shipping requirements to specific products?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Bob - There are no plans for this functionality in the initial release. You should be able to customize Magento to fit your requirements.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jrochman

Total Posts:  24

I want to second that such a feature would be useful.  I also would like to submit that it shouldn’t be too difficult to add either.  Just utilize the same code you use for discount to create dynamic handling fees for specific products.  As it is now, you can add a fixed amount or percentage amount for specialized items by creating the logic in the discount screen to identify that item is in the cart, and then using a negative number for the percentage or amount.  The only pitfall is that it appears under the line item “Discount,” and if they didn’t receive any true discounts, they would have have a discount that actually added to their total (because it is the dynamic handling fee).  So this method would just give you the sum of the discounts and the handlings fees.  Function wise, this works perfectly, aesthetically, not so much.  Given that this is OOP, I would imagine you could refactor the discount logic to handle this relatively easy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MaxOnTheHill

Total Posts:  56
Olinda, Victoria, Australi

This would STILL be a very useful functionality - amazed that simple things like this are disabled in Magento.

If it’s not that difficult to do, why not just make it possible and if people don’t want to use it they don’t have to, but it would be useful for many of us.

Hope someone looks at this at some time. smirk

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Hi,

I have a range of extensions in the shipping space, two in particular that are very useful and may be of benefit to people. They are commercial releases, this is to cover the costs of support and developing these, which is very much a full time job!

If you want to fully define rates yourself, and adjust for different products then ProductMatrix is a good option. This allows you to assign products to shipping groups then define the rates for these groups. It’s extremely flexible, which options such as cumulative, highest price totalling, percentage of cart value pricing, etc. 

Alternatively if you are using another shipping method in Magento, say UPS or Fedex, and just want to add a premium under certain scenarios, e.g. for large items add $50 to cost and exclude shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, then Shipping Override is the extension to go for.

If you follow the links you can see screencasts of both extensions, and run the demos.

http://webshopapps.com/shipping-extensions/api-controller-based/shipping-override-matrix.html
http://webshopapps.com/shipping-extensions/most-popular/productmatrix-shipping-extension.html

Feel free to contact me if you are unsure which best meets your needs. I am happy to provide a demo set up for your scenario pre-purchase, and I offer full post-sales support, 6 months ongoing, and 1 year of free upgrades.

Happy New Year all.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

matt1237

Total Posts:  70
Washington State

Bob S - 11 November 2007 04:06 PM

In the demo, I do not see any way to assign additional shipping costs to specific items that might require special handling (e.g., special shipping boxes). Also, we have certain products that have specific shipping requirements (e.g., items must ship by truck or frozen items that must ship overnight). Are there any plans to tie specific charges or shipping requirements to specific products?

So how did you end up finding a way to deal with items shipped by truck?  We looking for a solution to this as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community