Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Setting up a feed with a string

RobOrr

Total Posts:  218

This is a string that I have the ability to use to upload products and image names to Magento:

https://shop.crelectronics.com/feeds/productdownload.php?fields=price,sku&delim;=xml&time;=1174276800&id;=YOURID

The problem is I’m not so familiar with programming and am not sure how I would go about setting up an import profile to utilize this string.

Otherwise I would have to input each item separately and I’m not interested in doing that.  Can anyone offer advice as to how to use this string to set up my import?

Ultimately I’d like to run this feed about three times a day to make sure I have accurate inventory information and descriptions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks -

Rob

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

nothing? no one? Bueller? Bueller?

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Can anyone help with this? Even with what would need to be done theoreticallly?  I’m at a total loss on this and would appreciate any help out there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Is it possible to get anyone to respond??? There are two threads on here now about importing via feeds and NO ONE has any idea as to how to get this working correctly? Really?

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

No one likes a whiner!

Honestly, it’s hard to determine what you’re asking.
If you mean that there is a store with a product feed that you want to use to populate a Magento store, you will have to have some way to tell both ends to do more than one product at a time. But you already said you don’t want to do each item separately.

Otherwise, what’s to answer? You want something for nothing....well, you got nothing. Sorry.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Thanks for the reply!  I finally get a reply and it’s someone who calls me a whiner because I’ve had a thread on here for a couple weeks with nothing - thanks - I appreciate that.

I apologize if I was unclear.  I am trying to bulk upload products and product images and populate my store for the first time.  The string above is the data feed that is provided by my vendor that provides the product data to populate the store and can be run at intervals to have the most recent data. There are probably 10K plus products, so doing each individual one would require more time that I have or am willign to allocate to this project.  I don’t know if I should use my CSV data to do the initial upload, or set up the feed first; I don’t know if there is some sort of script needs to be written that is not included in the magento store, or I can use the dataflow profiles to acheive what I’m trying to do.

I have no idea as to what you mean by ‘something for nothing’.  I’m just trying to figure out if what I’m trying to do is feasible or not.  If you don’t want to help and just want to try to insult people, you can keep your snide remarks to yourself.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

You will need much more information about the products for Magento than you have listed in your datafeed query. If the vendor feed provides all the data that Magento needs, you can map the fields from one to the other. But you still need to pull from the feed more than one item. So ask the vendor if there is another syntax to get a big list of items instead of just one item.

Once you have the big list, you can import to Magento using the mapping you made. If you want to do this on a regular basis, look into setting up a cron job (if there’s no manual steps needed).

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Okay - I’m with you.  The string above is only a sample and I have the full string that contains the multiple variables for each product.  But the data I’m importing will only use about half of the variables in Magento, so I hope that will be okay.  I have the ability to run the cron job through my host, so that shouldn’t be too much of a problem. 

Next question is - do I have to specify in my script for the cron job to overwrite the existing data, or will it be duplicated?  Not real sure on that one.

Thanks for your help - this is a bit overwhelming.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

For Dataflow, if the product exists, it updates the fields you include in your data file. If it doesn’t exist, it creates it using the fields in your data file.
To get a new product created correctly, you have to make sure all of the required attributes have values.

Magento Community
Magento Community

magentomatt

Total Posts:  37

RobOrr,

How have you managed with the process you outline above?  I face the same issue and would love a way to keep my catalog up-to-date.  Is there a tutorial around that would help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

joyously - 26 August 2008 06:34 PM

For Dataflow, if the product exists, it updates the fields you include in your data file. If it doesn’t exist, it creates it using the fields in your data file.
To get a new product created correctly, you have to make sure all of the required attributes have values.

That’s good to know - thank you

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Here’s a thread that might help you:
Importing products - using a cron job to call Magento Dataflow import

Magento Community
Magento Community