Magento Forum

Hidden categories? 

RyanM

Total Posts:  13

Is there an easy way to set up categories that are “hidden,” meaning they do not show up in the main nav?

Example, we would like to have various categories available for gift giving (for her, for him, etc), but do not want these categories to show up in the main nav.

Any help is appreciated!

-Ryan

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Administrator

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

You can set them up as sub categories and configure your top nav not to show them.

admin > config > catalog > category top navigation > maximal depth

Magento Community
Magento Community

RyanM

Total Posts:  13

Hi Adi,

Thanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately, I’m not seeing that setting anywhere in the config...am I just missing something? 

Thanks,
Ryan

Magento Community
Magento Community

Concept

Total Posts:  25
Worcestershire

Yeah, im having the same problem,

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

That’s only an option in the latest 1.1x release.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Concept

Worcestershire

How do I know what version I have?? It was installed 4 weeks ago so would hope its the latest version..

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Administrator

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

@concept, the easiest way to see the version you are running is in the footer of your admin.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Concept

Worcestershire

adimagento - 11 August 2008 07:11 PM

@concept, the easiest way to see the version you are running is in the footer of your admin.

Thanks Abi, Must have downloaded at the wrong time as I have Magento ver. 1.0.19870.4.

Do you know how I can stop the sub catergories appearing when you run the cursar over the catergories? I have around a 1000 catagories which is too many to display like this. We do car parts so i would like the menu to display the Manufacturer but not models, you would click the manufacturer to get the model list on another page..  I have posted on the Forum with this problem a few times but sadly no one has replied..

Please help!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

allstarbooks

Total Posts:  4

I believe the intention behind maximal depth is to limit the depth of the menus, as you’ve requested.  However, as of 1.1.2, the setting doesn’t seem to have an effect.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

allstarbooks, it works in v1.1.2, just make sure you have the proper scope loaded (upper left-hand corner of the page) when changing the configuration of M. Also make sure you haven’t modified the templates that generate the top navigation, otherwise you may have unintentional results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

reefgear

Total Posts:  23

I am running 1.1.4 and have tried to change my “Maximal Depth” to 2 (I assume this will allow only the initial drop down list to show). However, when I save, the page attempts to “load” for a few minutes and then shows an error page. The change does not stick. Is this a problem with 1.1.4 or am I doing something wrong? Are there other settings that need to be addressed to make this work?
Thanks in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

luric

Total Posts:  15

I just updated from 1.1.4 to 1.1.6 and it’s finally working. Already tried to use this seting in earlier releases but without luck. Thanks for fixing this one…

@reefgear: I had several issues with 1.1.4 which are gone since the latest update. I highly recommend upgrading to 1.1.6.

Magento Community
Magento Community

reefgear

I am running 1.1.6 and am still having the problem with the Maximal Depth.  It refuses to save after I change the Maximal Depth. It seems as if it is trying to save but can’t quite make it. (on a similar note the same thing happens when I attempt to change the Product Alert settings on the same page). Any word on how to make this work?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZXIdo

Total Posts:  17

would’t something like this work?

.level3 span
 {
 display
none;

}

Magento Community
Magento Community

reefgear

.level3 span
{
display: none;
}

Thanks for the response but would you be able to tell me how this would be utilized. I am new to all of this and up until recently have made all changes through the admin. Code, CSS, PHP etc. are all very new to me. Thanks again and any help here is greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZXIdo

Total Posts:  17

reefgear - 05 October 2008 07:20 PM

Thanks for the response but would you be able to tell me how this would be utilized. I am new to all of this and up until recently have made all changes through the admin. Code, CSS, PHP etc. are all very new to me. Thanks again and any help here is greatly appreciated.

Hey,

When you are searching for your Categories in the Mainpage sourcecode, you will discover that they all have a class name
(ie. <li class="level0 categoryname”, <li class="level1 categoryname”, ...)

it starts with level0 (top-level main category), level1 is your first subcategory-level etc…

.level2 span
{
  display
none;
}

/* this will make your second subcategory-level invisible */

put the above-posted code into one of your CSS-files. You will find your CSS-files in skin/frontend/default/default/css/
for example styles.css

good luck ;-D

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community