Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Tutorial for integrating my css/xhtml template? 

stevefink

Total Posts:  9
Philadelphia, PA

Hi all,

I’m at the point of frustration with competing ecommerce solutions that I really don’t care if Magento is in a pre-release stage. I’m going to go for it anyway as I have full confidence in this software engineering team.  I’m going to be launching a store (hopefully!), with a shopping cart of exotic/custom designed jewelry. My father is the designer. I’m just the web geek. I’m extremely excited to start interacting with the community here!

With that said, I’ve tried surfing the wiki/knowledge base on how to begin integration my existing css/xhtml template the proper way. I’m looking to bring in the following to Magento:

http://gregs.phpgeek.org and http://gregs.phpgeek.org/subpage.html

I’ve found the CMS management section on the admin side, but it doesn’t seem this is the tool I’m actively seeking.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,

- sf

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

This is a good start - http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how-to/designing/designing-for-magento

We are currently working on documentation. If you run into any questions please post them on the HTML, XHTML, CSS, Design Questions Forum

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevefink

Philadelphia, PA

Thank you for the reply Roy!

I’ll get to work on this tomorrow and post results as soon as I have something credible. grin

Cheers,

- sf

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevefink

Philadelphia, PA

Hey folks -

So admittingly, the templating is a bit overwhelming at first. Especially when I have everything pieced together already in valid XHTML/CSS. 

Would anyone with more experience be kind enough to steer me in the right direction? I guess my layout includes a header, a left column, and a content window as you can see in http://gregs.phpgeek.org.  Should I start breaking this thing up into several different xml/phtml files? I’m an avid user of web technologies including XHTML/CSS/PHP/XML/JavaScript, except the way things are broke down here aren’t my ‘norm’ way of working.

I’d definitely appreciate it if someone can give me some advice.

Thanks all, hope I can get this to eventually work with my store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

That clears a lot of things up for me.  I’ve been trying to wrap my head around how Magento’s templating system works, and that explanation makes it very easy to grasp.  I can’t wait for final documentation so I can really get into the details.  Thanks!

P.S. Raise your hand if you think Minu deserves a big raise. *raises hand* wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

xdeveloper

Total Posts:  4

*raises hand* Thanks, Minu. Thanks to your post I was able to understand within a few minutes what I’ve been trying to figure out for the past two hours! I also look forward to the final templating documentation. keep up the good work!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Loquix

Total Posts:  1

Hi Minu
What sort of development times do you expect when customising the templates?

For example a two person team working 7 hours a day.
To re-dress Magento with a whole new look and feel: 2 weeks or 3 months?

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevefink

Philadelphia, PA

Minu, I *completely* am greatful for the post you’ve made above. You went above and beyond what most people would in many communities. You really are a valuable key player and I’m looking forward to reading that with my breakfast to see what I can apply to my existing template. I’m like, dying to get this thing working.  Cheers!  - sf

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tonyo

Total Posts:  15
Conwy N.Wales

Hi Minu

This is an excellent post. Well done for that.
We need to put this in the Wiki or some place we can refer to it.
Keep up the good work.

regards Tony

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Orange County, CA

Hi Minu,

That was definitely a great write-up that helps explain things much clearer.  Thank you!

Brady

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

thanks minu!

Magento Community
Magento Community

whidbey

Total Posts:  20

thx minu:)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Yosuke

Total Posts:  3

Minu,

Your posting was absolutely great, very simple and straight forward explanation. I am one of the business owners and web developers who is trying to implement Magento to my business. I have been looking screenshots and this form to find out how I can complete my website. Your post really helps me to understand the key component of template. Than you, thank you very much, Minu!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Macaper

Total Posts:  48

Minu, that post is just awsome. Downloaded Magento a few days ago and taken the demo store apart, again and again to start to understand how everything is mounted together so I know what to change or not, but your post will most definatly save me lots and lots of hours of detective digging of my own.

I raise my hand and after beeing more and more convinced what plattform to start to build on, this community is making me dedicated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Macaper

Total Posts:  48

Abit embarassing to admit, but I’m not sure I understand after all. I understand how to put things together, but still not where and how to structure my folders.

Will refer to what Minu wrote

Pretty straight forward. This type of templates are what we call “skeleton templates” because it exists for the purpose of positioning structural blocks within a page. Such templates are located in app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/,

Does that meen that all your templates should be located in the standard setup? As of the path beeing “fontend/default/default”?

Located in app/design/frontend/your_package/your_theme/layout, layout is the one that puts all the pieces together. When a page loads in your store, the following things happen…

Here comes the referens to what seems to be a unique name in the structure “fontend” but should that then only contain the layout data?

I’m confused smile

Basicly, if you want your own looks and probably function as well, then should you create a complete package with all things needed or do you still just add stuff into layout? (and skin of course)

Sorry if this is basic stuff and I should have understood this from my 3 times around the tutorials, but still not there yet. I know I will feel that this structure is very logical once I reach the “oh, aha, thats how it is put together moment” but still need a few more pieces…

Magento Community
Magento Community

kajaman_

Total Posts:  1

Hi, I have the same feeling as Macaper :-( ... I have spent last 3 days trying to implement my HTML/CSS template into Magento. In fact I understand the business about interfaces and themes and skeleton templates etc. I think that the problem is the XML structure that I am not by far familiar with and that should “put it all together”.
Pls believe I’ve read the Guide many times. The most helpful would be if somebody could work out a very very simple tutorial that should actually implement very very simple HTML/CSS template into Magento. It could be a template like header, left column with a cart and main area with catogories perhaps. I dont know whether this would be too much work for some of the people that are used to work with Magento. I dont know whether it is better to build a new theme from the scratch or to amend the default Demo shop template.  If someone could help I would be very greatfull.
Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3