Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Subtract Stock from Inventory Only When Shipping

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

I understand stock can diminish when someone places an order.

I need that to change so that stock is only subtracted from our inventory when we actually ship the item. I’d rather collect the order and go sub zero on stock then scare them off and buy from a competitor.

Can Magento do this out of the box?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

silversand

Total Posts:  8

{bump}

I’d like to know this too.

J.T., my assumption is that you would like to use the action of confirming shipment ("Item has been shipped” E-mail) as the “trigger” for the stock level change, instead of the last-page-of-checkout-process.

If this is the case, I’m looking for *precisely* the same feature.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

The requested functionality is not available in stock Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

radders

Total Posts:  162

Why not just allow backorders?
It seems there is an option in system--> config --> catalogue to allow qty below zero and another to allow qty below zero and notify the customer

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Thanks for the replies.

Back-orders is one way but are customers actually informed they are back-orders on-screen? I’d prefer them to not know at all. Our type of products mean there could be a long time between ordering and delivering and there’s plenty of reasons why a sale wouldn’t actually happen. For those reasons, I much prefer stock subtraction to happen when we ship rather than when taking the order.

It’s also much better IMO for reporting. If you want to calculate what’s on the shelves, perhaps for the annual stock-take, why not count stock that actually is there?

Say for example you take stock on Jan 1st. It’s holiday season so orders are coming in but you haven’t sent them out. You had a 100 items in stock when you broke up for Christmas and Magento has been subtracting from it as and when orders came in. So by Jan 1st, your report says you only have 60 in stock but clearly, in the stock room you still have 100.

That’s why I want stock to reduce when we actually ship, when it’s physically leaving the building. Makes a lot more sense to me.

Also better in certain drop-ship scenarios where you don’t have stock in the first place.

Magento Community
Magento Community

relentless1

Total Posts:  67

did anyone find a solution for this? If I could find in the code where it subtracts from the quantity I could make a class to extend the Shipping behaviour to reduce the stock, however that’s the hard part finding that code and see if anything else should be done besides just reducing the quantity by 1 because magento is so complex!

Magento Community
Magento Community

larrysm

Total Posts:  4

Did anyone solve this?
I\’d love to have the option of subtracting stock when shipped, or invoiced.
subtracting stock when a sales order is created is simply bad accounting.

a better functionality would be to choose which change of order status will trigger a decrease in stock, instead of the current \"on/off on new order\”

surely someone has made an extension to do this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rohit_mehndi

Total Posts:  3

Anyone has found any solution to this? We want the similar functionality.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community