Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
VIDEO MODULE

sean US

Total Posts:  58

Teclance Enterprise - 10 March 2009 07:43 PM

aheadWorks - 09 March 2009 12:56 AM
What about usability - how would you distinguish video thumbnail from an image? Regarding the tabs - it’s more about your store layout rather than the module itself, or how do you think?

Hi

Here is a site using the exact idea I was referring to:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.coll.item.E05865.desc.Hitachi-30GB-HDDDVD-Hybrid-Camcorder-w-10x-Optical-Zoom

There is a photo tab and video tab.

I think it would be better if it would be the last thumbnail in the row and it would start on mouse over.
Less click = better
Having it in a separate tab (1 click) and having it to be clicked to start (1 click) equals into 2 clicks.
I think most people put 1 or 2 but not more than 3 pictures of their product. The product details page is set in a way that there is room for 4 pictures under the preview. So putting the video on the last picture is good enough.
How do people know its a video?
1. once the mouse over they notice that the video starts (video should start buffering once details page is loaded)
2. The word “Video” should be crossover the preview. This should be an option.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sean US

Let me know if you guys at aheadWorks are serously about to develop something for the Video Module. I have some more ideas.

thanks
sean

Magento Community
Magento Community

LostDocs7

Total Posts:  31

seanmd - 25 May 2009 08:34 AM

Let me know if you guys at aheadWorks are serously about to develop something for the Video Module. I have some more ideas.

thanks
sean

Sean, post your ideas here! cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

sean US

I believe that a video feature is very important since visualizing a product gives not only more opportunities to the seller to sell his product, it also makes it easier to present the product. The video feature will probably be something everyone gonna use since.

Besides that, less clicks are better. i would suggest the following features and functionality

1. preview of the video should be the last picture preview.
2. Video should start buffering right when the details page has be called/opend (I noticed what you said AW, but this is the perfect scenario)
3. Video should have a static Picture preview. This preview should be visible in the small thumbnail preview are as of the place the video would run. The Video picture presentation should show in the main area as long as the video is buffering.
4. Video should be in flash format, this way developers have the possibility to run animations and other forms of presentations.
5. I think the video should run by default and while it is buffering a preview picture should show.
6. all thumbnails and video should start running by mouse over (AW, i know what you gonna say, but again, this would be the perfect situation)
7. there should be an option to run a MP3 instead of a video. This feature is for people who dont whant to shoot a video and a simple voice recording does the job for them.

Thank you for reading this

sean

Image Attachments
Uniquej-2.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

FireworkCrazy

Total Posts:  10

Hi Guys

Very new here but we are looking to move away from our current cart solution to something a bit more robust.

There will be lots of things that we need to have developed for our needs but one of these is video

In our current cart we have a field in the database that links to the video. If this script sees the link it displays an image.

e.g. http://www.fireworkscrazy.co.uk/store/shopexd.asp?id=230

If there’s no video the image isn’t displayed.

Clicking on the video link opens a javascript player which has had the URL to the video embedded in the page. It works VERY VERY well for us and we would like to duplicate this in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RickyFk

Total Posts:  165

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that interest in the Video module has fallen by the wayside slightly?

Aheadworks, do you guys have any plans to release a deluxe/paid version of the basic video extension that you have created?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ooo11ooo

Total Posts:  1

Magento Community
Magento Community

rohima

thanks for the info man.....great job....keep it up thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zoremusa

Total Posts:  33

Hi Guys, I am using the video extension, I just did a small change, I moved the video call from the “Additional Information” to the product page, I changed the atrribute
to not be visible on the product page and created a div in the view.phtml of the product:
<div class="product_video"><?php echo $_product->getaw_video() ?></div>

This works fine in Firefox but in Internet explorer it pops up an error msg that say the page cannot be opened and it takes me away from the page.

it seems that it doesnt work with one of Magneto’s Java Scripts

Anyone can suggest a solution for that?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zainen

Someone from Magento tell us if it is in the road map to support video out of the box? If not that I think i would consider developing a youtube video module..I will wait for that.

Regards

Zainen
Surendettement

Magento Community
Magento Community

zoremusa

Total Posts:  33

Hi, I solved this issue by using this script, works great for me with all kind of video sites, if you develop extension, use it
http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/js_api_reference.html#Embedding

Magento Community
Magento Community

gjazz35

Molto nuovo qui, ma stiamo cercando di allontanarsi dalla nostra soluzione di carrello attuali a qualcosa di un po ‘più robusto.
Ci saranno un sacco di cose che abbiamo bisogno di avere sviluppato per le nostre esigenze, ma è uno di questi video.
Nel nostro carrello attuale abbiamo un campo del database che si collega alla video. Se questo script vede il link si visualizza un’immagine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr-Moo

Total Posts:  12

For anyone looking to display videos in a Shadowbox popup in a list-view check out a nice tutorial I made.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/shadowbox_youtube_-_play_videos_in_product_list_view

Hope that helps smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

charford

Total Posts:  28

speaking of the site we were talking about earlier…

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.coll.item.E05865.desc.Hitachi-30GB-HDDDVD-Hybrid-Camcorder-w-10x-Optical-Zoom

Does anyone know how to make the product thumbnails slide like this? Also did anyone figure out how to do a video tab like that? Are there any freelance developers that can PM me?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr-Moo

Total Posts:  12

charford,

I looked, and it doesn’t appear that the website you posted is Magento. What you are talking about is completely re-designing the product display page and adding jquery into the mix of things. Jquery will work for both the image slider and the video tab.

Very hard and expensive task… Good luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3