Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
VIDEO MODULE

pecq

Total Posts:  26

is there a feature, module, in magento when you want to add a video for your product?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

There is no “video module” per say out of the box, but you can certainly create an attribute that would display video per product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

Oh - this would be GREAT to have out of the box.
Please, please! smile

Lisa

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrischip

Total Posts:  5

I think it is very important to add video in the product information as we use more and more video on the internet. This would distinguish Magento from the other ecommerce platform.

Would someone from Magento tell us if it is in the roadmap to support video out of the box? If not that I think i would consider developing a youtube video module and feedback to the community

Magento Community
Magento Community

maxmin

Total Posts:  68
Czech Republic

I would also love to have some really good video module.
The best would be a module that can accept files directly from camera (MOV or some other format) and automaticaly generates high-res and low-res flash video.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aikighost

Total Posts:  16

RoyRubin - 11 November 2007 07:27 PM

There is no “video module” per say out of the box, but you can certainly create an attribute that would display video per product.

Hi Roy how would one go about doing this? Perhaps a tutorial would be useful?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikep

Total Posts:  22

Can someone plz reply to the above post? There are many interest regarding the video setup.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

A bit like most vBulletin in-post video extensions, you could make an attribute “youtube_video” as text field and allow comma separated video IDs. In the pview template file or wherever, you can easily then slap the embed code around each to show the videos. That would be the quickest and easiest way.

More complex and neater would be to replicate the Image manager but then for Video and allow size settings, sorting, source settings, upload locally instead of embedding, player layout etc. A lightbox/cinema mode where the background gets greyed out would be nice too as well as in-Magento video ratings and comments as well as view reporting.

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

J.T. - 11 February 2009 02:58 AM

A bit like most vBulletin in-post video extensions, you could make an attribute “youtube_video” as text field and allow comma separated video IDs. In the pview template file or wherever, you can easily then slap the embed code around each to show the videos. That would be the quickest and easiest way.

More complex and neater would be to replicate the Image manager but then for Video and allow size settings, sorting, source settings, upload locally instead of embedding, player layout etc. A lightbox/cinema mode where the background gets greyed out would be nice too as well as in-Magento video ratings and comments as well as view reporting.

Thats what ive done and works fine… attributes are the way for the moment. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

fegizii

Total Posts:  160

Right now i’m embedding html code that i get from the youtubepage, which works ok.

The problem is formatting the code to look good on the oroduct page (ie, putting it in a table, adding titles and descriptions etc).

Pulling the formatting from a template would make things easier. Perhaps in the “new product” backend we could use an interface silimial to the “images” feature, from which we can sort, add titles, descriptions etc.

Then we can use a layout similat to product grid to put all the vids in a nice table.

just my 2c

Magento Community
Magento Community

Teclance Enterprise

Total Posts:  44

I think a great feature for this would be to also allow the video to show where there Thumbnail image is on the product page and have a tab perhaps where the customer can go from the images to video.

Just an idea.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sean US

Total Posts:  58

keltin - 07 March 2009 11:06 AM

I think a great feature for this would be to also allow the video to show where there Thumbnail image is on the product page and have a tab perhaps where the customer can go from the images to video.

Just an idea.

Totally agree with that, That would be perfect. Lets say you have 2 Thumbnails and the 3rd one would be the video. How can that be done ?????

Magento Community
Magento Community

Teclance Enterprise

Total Posts:  44

aheadWorks - 09 March 2009 12:56 AM

What about usability - how would you distinguish video thumbnail from an image? Regarding the tabs - it’s more about your store layout rather than the module itself, or how do you think?

Hi

Here is a site using the exact idea I was referring to:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.coll.item.E05865.desc.Hitachi-30GB-HDDDVD-Hybrid-Camcorder-w-10x-Optical-Zoom

There is a photo tab and video tab.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ariyl

Total Posts:  5

lisali - 18 May 2008 03:55 AM

Oh - this would be GREAT to have out of the box.
Please, please! smile

Lisa

You don’t need a module to add video html to your products. Just change the Attribute settings in your Product Description or Description (for example) to Accept html. and place the html where you want in those dialog boxes. THAT"S IT!

Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Total Posts:  344

A video gallery per product would be nice. similar to the standard image gallery, but instead of being a popup window, a tab like in the modern theme next to additional info would be great or a separate section all together like additional info in default theme. Then use a modal window similar to lightbox like JT was saying to view them. Have you seen lightwindow? Maybe allowing a featured video option for a products video so that you can push a particular feature or installation procedure. Adding to what JT said having a rating system that auto pushes the highest rated video as an added link or icon somewhere close to the top of the page like by the overview / short description area. Also having an option for embed or upload would be nice so those shops with less storage can utilized other hosts. Just some thoughts. Currently we are using a textarea attribute to embed video.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tinnud

Total Posts:  37
UK

I’ve embedded videos for most products on my site by using a video player called ‘FlowPlayer’

I simply add a little html before my product description and edit each one to reflect what video I have uploaded that relates to specific games or consoles.

Here’s how it looks:

http://www.tinnud.com/nintendo-dsi-console.html

If you’d like more info then pm me smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3