Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

wishlists

warwickmc

Total Posts:  33

can the wishlists functionality be renamed? And can wishlists be saved and viewed from the admin area?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

Total Posts:  70

I tried.  It is referenced in a million places.  I don’t recommend manually making this change.  You can change the name using the “inline translation” mode.  Basically when set to that mode, a lot of stuff is editable right on the page.  Look up “inline translation.” You’ll need version 1.1.1 I think.  I really had a hard time changing the text “wishlist” in the toplinks.  After all was said and done, I regretted all the edits and rolled back.  Not sure why that term isn’t separated in a language file, but it doesn’t seem to be.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

Also, you can view the customer’s wishlist in the admin.  Admin> customers> “customer name"> wishlist.

Magento Community
Magento Community

warwickmc

Thanx for your reply ramedia, along the vein of viewing the wishlists, how hard do you think it would be
To change the admin area so there was a page with all the wishlists up front. I’m just trying to give my client
A catalog/quote generator functionality

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

Me too.  I’m not finding it that easy to bend to my will.  My client rents equipment.  You could have them “add to cart” instead of wishlist.  Change the terminology a bit sot they know they are compiling a quote.  When they “place the order” make “no payment information required” the default hidden value.  Make “flat rate $0” the default hidden shipping value.  Etc..  basically a cart with no charge.  They have this as an option with this cart software in case you want to bill a customer later, or a wholesaler 30 days re.  Set it up like that and your users “orders” will be listed in an index under admin>sales>orders.  You can default the cart to open to that page.  Make sure you conform notification emails to your new scheme.

Magento Community
Magento Community

warwickmc

thats a great idea, i was thinking something very similar, but its great to hear that its feasible. One little sticking point with that is they want “a few” products to be purchasable, which is just making my head hurt. Do you think it’d be possible to have 2 different checkout templates and specify them by category or store??

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

You can create different views per category, and product page, but I don’t know if you can separate them at the checkout level.  You could check for some variable like a custom attribute or You can also run multiple stores off of one instance.  That might be the solution.  One store had purchasable products, the other defaults to no purchase.  It will be enough to make your head hurt.  I think you can run both stores on the same domain.  You may be able to delineate the stores by base root, or by sub domain. 

Or You could write a conditional php on the checkout page to deliver different templates based on attribute or category.

Also look into product types.  Virtual product is a product that doesn’t require shipping.  It is supposed to be used for services I think.  You also might want to look into configurable grouped and bundled product types.  There might be a solution with “product type.”

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

I just found this: admin>admin>startup page.  I didn’t know this was here.  You default your admin’s start up page to just about any admin page.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community