Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Which modules can be disabled to speed up loading time? 

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

In system>>advanced>>disable modules output

there are a number of modules there. Some of them make sense, some of them don’t. Does anybody know what each one of them does and which ones could be disabled to maybe increase the speed of Magento?

For example, what do these do:

Mage_Api
Mage_Cron
Mage_Eav
Mage_Install (?)
Mage_Paygate
Mage_Permissions
Mage_Rule
Mage_SalesRule
Mage_Usa
.....etc

Many thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

Total Posts:  70

You are not advanced if you are asking this question.  Stay out of there!  In any event disabling these will not speed up your load time.  You need to be on something other than a low end shared server to speed up your admin.  Unfortunately this software is a resource hog and requires custom servers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Hi,

I am not trying to speed my my admin. I do not care about that. Several other threads have mentioned disabling certain modules to speed up the frontend.

We are all learning here and if anyone has any constructive advice, kindly post here.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

I also meant you need to be on something other than a standard shared server to speed up the front end as well.  Both the recommendation that you’ll need a special server, and the recommendation to stay away from turning modules off, is constructive criticism.  I just didn’t phrase that well.  The speed of this software was/is one of the biggest failings of this project.  I’ve scoured the forums looking for ways to improve speed.  My end conclusion is you’ll have to get on a server that is configured to load balance this software’s mysql and cpu usage, uses the proper software, is configured for this software.  Turning off core modules is not good advice unless it is coming directly from the core developers.  I would not take the advice of the non core developers here on “core” issues.  Many people are suggesting core hacks for various things here, I would avoid these hacks.  My advice may seem blunt and not very explanatory, but it is good advice and will save you hours of time in the future trying to figure out why “this or that” doesn’t work, and it is because you turned off a module.  It will also save you time to come to the conclusion that a special server set up is required to speed this thing up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

There are plenty of DYI (Do It Yourself) items to speed up the front end. There’s even a blog post written by the Magento people for this purpose. A specialized server will of course help you, but it is not necessarily the only way to go to gain speed.

It IS good to have a VPS host that gives you root access (it simulates having your own server) - that gives you more power to change PHP and Apache settings (which is much of what Magneto people suggest for the DYI improvements)

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

nikefido - 08 August 2008 08:51 AM

There’s even a blog post written by the Magento people for this purpose.

The magento demo site crawls.  Enough said.

nikefido - 08 August 2008 08:51 AM

It IS good to have a VPS host that gives you root access (it simulates having your own server) - that gives you more power to change PHP and Apache settings (which is much of what Magneto people suggest for the DYI improvements)

A VPS host is a custom server setup, i.e.  you will not be able to get over the speed hump on a “dreamhost” shared server with 1000 other clients on the box.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

New Haven, CT

Here, check these out - hopefully you can make some progress with this:

Wiki:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/168/optimising_your_web_stack_performance_for_magento

Blog Post:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/performance-is-key-notes-on-magentos-performance/

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I am aware of the wiki and the blog post mentioned above - and yes, I know that I would ideally need a dedicated server. But for now, I am on shared and would like to do whatever possible to increase the intial loading time of the home page, as it is unacceptably slow.

Are all CSS and JS files minified or rolled into one? Yslow does not think so. Any way to maybe do that?

I have also enabled gzip via .htaccess for magento, but Yslow does not seem to acknowledge that either.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

New Haven, CT

Do you have cacheing turned on? (via the admin)

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Hi,

I have tried with both cache turned off and on. Yslow still says, in both cases:

Under 1. Make fewer HTTP requests: “This page has 5 external StyleSheets.”
Under 4. Gzip components: “These components are not gzipped: validation.j[snip] + all the .css files”

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

New Haven, CT

I’m not sure which .css files you can stop loading without breaking styles of your site, BUT
1) All of your .js files are loaded in via the proxy.php file -

root/js/proxy.php

Looking at the file, it does look like it defaults to gzip those file -

// use gzip or deflate, use this if not enabled in .htaccess, default on
if (!(isset($_GET['z']) && !$_GET['z'])) {
    ini_set
('zlib.output_compression'1);
}

Is validation a custom.hs file that you included yourself? The one that comes with Magento should be gzipped by default…

Now the CSS doesn’t appear to be run that same way…
Instead they are pulled from:
root\skin\frontend\default\default\css (on a default skin...)

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

I can recommend the newer version of the software: 1.1.2.  Its pages load about twice as fast, because they fixed a lot of functions and how it calls to the server/mysql.  Although the actual page can be heavy: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php the fat page size would only account for about 1-2 second of load time.  So if your site is grinding for 14 seconds on a page, you’re not going to trim much with js or css.  You can definitely trim weight with images (over 300k on a product page with default template), don’t use these default template images.  I notice a great speed improvement with the new version.  I also notice a speed improvement on a godaddy server vs. a dreamhost server.  Some shared servers really oversell a server and they don’t have any ram, fast hard drive seek heads, or CPU on these oversold boxes.  That is why you should consider migrating to a special server setup.  There are some people here who have set up limited share server hosting packages for $20 a month that will greatly improve your operation.  I can’t recommend one directly as I don’t use their services, but if you are hanging around in this forum you’ll see the same names come up.  You don’t need an expensive dedicated server to run this unless your site expects a lot of concurrent users.  If your business nets more than $5000 a month, then I would consider the move to a dedicated server.  I apologize if my previous posts seemed unhelpful.  I am blunt because I’ve already spent hours/days trying to do what you are trying to do, and my simple answer after all my efforts is: hosting.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

@nikefido: Many thanks for your reply. No, I have not included any custom files. The validation file is the one that comes with Magento. I thought that by default, the latest production versions of Magento have been rolling all the CSS and JS files, respectively, into one. Yslow still sees them as separate files, that have not been gzipped.

@ramedia: Many thanks for your replies as well. I share your frustration. I am setting up a small shop to start with, so the budget restraints do not allow me to move to another host just yet. What I am trying to do for now is speed Magento up as much as possible. Yes, I am aware that the default template has many unoptimised images. I am using a custom version of the default template so I have heavily optimised every single image there. That does help, but it’s still SLOW. I have been using the 1.1.1 version, and I can not say that it is much faster than its predecessor. I have had a look at the release notes for the 1.1.2 and it does not say anything about speed improvements over 1.1.1 but I will give that a go as well.

Regarding the modules I mentioned before, I read on another thread here that Magento loads ALL of them by default and that by turning some of them off, one could increase the initial loading time quite a lot. Of course I do not want to play around and break my store, and that is why I am posting here. Maybe someone from Magento team could give us an explanation of the modules. If I only ship within the UK, for example, then I could safely turn the USA shipping modules off. And so on.

Many thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

esra

Total Posts:  1

lisali - 09 August 2008 12:30 AM

Regarding the modules I mentioned before, I read on another thread here that Magento loads ALL of them by default and that by turning some of them off, one could increase the initial loading time quite a lot. Of course I do not want to play around and break my store, and that is why I am posting here. Maybe someone from Magento team could give us an explanation of the modules. If I only ship within the UK, for example, then I could safely turn the USA shipping modules off. And so on.

This is my first post, so please excuse any errors in the following. I have been evaluating Magento over the past week and have been studying the API.

Modules are loaded on demand like any other MVC (Model-View-Controller) framework using a lazy initialization approach where only the code needed at any particular period of time is loaded at once. I seriously doubt if modules are the problem. However, reducing the number of blocks loaded for the various layouts might give some boost in speed because some blocks use queries which could effect performance. Traditionally, the real performance killer for e-commerce applications like Magento are the lage number of database queries performed to display data on any given page. Using a combination of caches, database caching, view fragment caching (layout, block, template fragments) and similar approaches will increase performance, but you need a server environment where you can custom configure your AMP stack for optimum performance. This usually means moving to a VPS or managed server unless you can talk your host into performing the optimizations you need to achieve better performance. Some hosts specialize in e-commerce or take special precautions for e-commerce sites to assure better performance. You might fire off an email message to your host to see if something like that is possible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

There is no performance increase between 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 so don’t bother with that upgrade if you don’t want it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Redhat

Total Posts:  16
Tel Aviv

I do not think that the advice to switch host to increase the front-end speed is right.

I am running a magento store on a dedicated server as follows:

HP DL360 G3
4GB Ram
2 x 3.06Ghz Xeon CPU (Total 4 cores)
2 x 146GB U320 SCSI Drives

That is a MONSTER machine for a LAMP installation. I have about 20 of this machines running different websites and systems.
On the exact same setup and machine i have a shared hosting server that hosts ~500 websites&forums;with no single complain from any user about performance or speed.

On the dedicated magento server i have 1 store with 10 products with 2-3 visitors per day (it is on beta testing and is not yet opened to the public) and i get terrible performance.

It takes 4-8 seconds to load a page, navigating takes few seconds (4-8 seconds) and the general user experience is bad.

My suggestion for now: do not move to a VPS/VDS as it will not help you in any way.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2