Magento Forum

Order numbers not sequential and missing orders??? 

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1839

Sorry about the YAM and YAN confusion. It’s an old Unix joke on the perverse explosion of software needed to do yet the same but slightly different thing. In fact, one program out there, YACC is, when the acronym is expanded out, “Yet Another Compiler Compiler”. I was commenting on the need for someone to create “Yet Another Module” to dress up an annoying Magento issue. <grin>

Not sure why the IDs skip inconsistently like that, but since IDs are arbitrarily assigned keys in database management systems, the only thing that’s important is that the system assign them correctly across the spectrum of things they key together. Maybe someone else has done a little more research and can chip in?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kristianjeffrey

Total Posts:  16

Hmm, im having the same problem here, any resolution?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mark_logicspot

Total Posts:  21

I’ve got this problem, I’m using SagePay Suite from EbizMarts and none of the credit card transactions are failing.

The order numbers are increasing by 2 each time, and I cannot see anything failing.

Anyone else had this?  No failures, just jumping order numbers?  I’ve got it on two totally separate sites!

Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kurtik

Total Posts:  35

Hi,

I have some problem, I have gaps in orders numdbers but I don\’t use any online payment gateway (like paypal, credit card authorization etc..)
I have setup only this payments bank transfer, cash on delivery, personal taken .... so it must be some problem in magento…
I tried

I use 1.4.1.1

Kurtik

Magento Community
Magento Community

webhydro

Total Posts:  1

Has anyone had any issues with the IRS about the missing order numbers? They want everything documented and accounted for, don\’t they?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1839

webhydro - 02 February 2012 06:03 AM

They want everything documented and accounted for, don\’t they?

Sequential Invoice Numbers count, they are completed sales that should have generated revenue and therefore are taxable.

Sequential Sales Order Numbers may be used for internal business controls, but not every Sales Order generates a completed sale.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tbradley22

Total Posts:  45

We’ve been experiencing similar issues over the past six months, which may all be related:
1. PayPal Pro charging credit cards but no order created in Magento
2. Sales order numbers skipping when payment is made but no order created
3. Frequent issues with customers placing duplicate orders
4. Very large orders more likely to fail than smaller orders

Issues #1 and #2 jumped up suddenly on the same day that we disabled the cache, possibly putting additional load on the server?

I read in another string that someone was able to resolve this issue by switching to a different hosting company.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/229206/#t335627
Has anyone else found this to be the case, or are there any solutions at all to rectify this?

I read all five pages of responses, and am disappointed to see that after four years of issues there\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\’s been no resolution provided by the Magento team.

Magento Community
Magento Community

magentohostinfo

Total Posts:  20

We are having the same issue with one of our customers on 1.4.1.1.  I understand the gaps in order numbers for declined transactions, but what concerns me is we are getting valid payments (customer’s money) with no corrosponding order (like some others have mentioned in this thread)! 

With the suggestion of converting to Authorize ("AUTH") only by previous posters I was refreshing my memory on the impact of this change.  In doing so I ran across this page that described the differences between the processing types.  What I found interesting is what the author suggests under the “What’s wrong with the AUTH_CAPTURE transaction type” section.  We would be switching from Authorize/Capture ("AUTH_CAPTURE") to just Authorize ("AUTH"), so this was of paticular interest what is wrong with the AUTH_CAPTURE method we are currently using.

Here is a quote from the article:

The Authorize + Capture transaction type implements the two operations automatically in one call.

To understand why this transaction type is so risky, you need to understand what happens behind the scenes, when a customer is ready to buy and clicks the “Checkout now” button on your website.

The shopping cart software sends a request to your payment gateway, passing the customer’s credit card information, amount to charge and transaction type.

The shopping cart software then waits a few seconds to receive an acknowledgment from the payment gateway, indicating the operation completed successfully.

Now, consider something happens along the way and for some reason, the confirmation never comes back. It could be a network issue, timeout, bug or any number of things.

In case your shopping cart software doesn’t receive the confirmation back, it assumes the payment did not complete. It is however possible that the payment completed successfully, customer charged, but a timeout occurred before the confirmation message was sent.

While not common, these cases easily lead to duplicate charges (customer will try to place an order again), with the shopping cart system showing a single charge and the customer’s credit card statement showing he was charged twice.

To avoid this, always run an authorization first, save the authorization code and then run a capture.

Even if a timeout error occurs, the user will never be double charged. Attempting to capture funds twice using the same authorization code, is not possible.

To me this sounds like exactly what we are seeing.  Again probably a timeout issue where Magento is not getting the payment conformation response from the payment gateway, but the payment is converted after the timeout occurs anyway.  I just thought I would share this, as it sounds like not only is switching to AUTH only a potential fix, but it also seems like the way we should be doing it anyway.

Any comments to the contrary (why to not use AUTH only) would be appreciated as I’m still researching before making any final decision/changes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

magentohostinfo

Total Posts:  20

I was able to reproduce this issue finally.  I’m hoping having a reproducable sequence will help us (the Magento developers) figure this one out.

I’m using the one page Ajax checkout.  If you walk through the checkout process, get pass billing and shipping address, get past shipping method, and then enter the credit card payment information for the credit card gateway, then click continue which takes you to the final stage “order review”.

At this point click back to the “Shipping Method” box.  Click “Continue” which again takes you to the “Payment Method” box.  You will notice you now have to re-enter the credit card information.  Re-Enter the information and click continue.  Now we are at the last box again the “Order Review” box.  Now if you click the “Submit” button it just hangs and never processes.

Can anyone else confirm that this process is broken?

Magento Community
Magento Community

posylane

Total Posts:  9

We are using Magento 1.4.1.1 and are suffering the same problem of Paypal charging the customer and crediting our account, but Magento has no record of the sale.  Has anyone upgraded to a later version of Magento and had the issue clear up?

Magento Community
Magento Community

agard_bbcc

Total Posts:  1

We just went live with Paypal on our site yesterday, http://www.bigforkbaycottonco.com. I set Paypal Express and Website Payments Standard to “authorize” as we’re a bit of a specialty company with our fabrics, and this method works best. It only took a day for our shipping gal to notice we’re missing some order numbers. Not all, but some are jumping from, say, xxxx802 to xxxx805. For the most part the are still ascending but it’s making me nervous as I read what other posters are saying. We also prefer to send out our own invoices, as it’s how we keep track on shipping our orders (as in we manually set the status from “Pending” to “Processing” in Magento on our own) but it appears when a customer uses Paypal the orders are set to “Processing” by default. We’re a small operation with one person who ships items, but occasionally we get large orders and are afraid something may get missed one day. Is there a way to set all new orders to “Pending”, whether they use Paypal or not?

Another quick question - I noticed under our Express Checkout Settings, for Payment Actions there are three options - Authorize, Sale, and Order. We use authorize, and I’m aware of the differences between that option and sale, but what does order entail?

I’m relatively new to Magento, but I’m pretty comfortable with PHP if anyone can think of any fixes that have worked for them. I’ll be watching this thread with interest. Thanks for your time, good luck everyone!

Oh - I should mention we’re on Magento 1.5.1.0

Magento Community
Magento Community

fedor_smirnoff

Total Posts:  4

I can confirm the problem still exists on 1.6.2.0. The problem of successful orders not recorded by Magento. Maybe it would be a good idea for Magento to keep track and flag orders that were submitted but never received a response back from the Credit Card Gateway? Much better then deleting them from the database. Comments from Magento team would be much appreciated. This has been going on for a while.

Magento Community
Magento Community

karan4web

Total Posts:  3

Kurtik - 17 January 2012 08:15 AM

Hi,

I have some problem, I have gaps in orders numdbers but I don\’t use any online payment gateway (like paypal, credit card authorization etc..)
I have setup only this payments bank transfer, cash on delivery, personal taken .... so it must be some problem in magento…
I tried

I use 1.4.1.1

Kurtik

I have only one option enabled in my store and that is COD. How am i supposed to get any failed transactions in that?
My customers keep calling me and asking about their delivery.
Magento atleast should let us know which orders ID is booked. Is this some sort or magento error/bug?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Phil85

Total Posts:  12
London

This problem still exists in 1.7x and it has led to our clients somehow being able to receive orders for out of stock products at later dates. For instance orders will be as follows:

The order 1000102 is completely out of sequence and is for products that are now out of stock.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

macateem

Total Posts:  23

We’re having the problem as well:  Successful payments to Authorize.net and no Order #.  I haven’t check the debug option yet.  If it is a timeout issue, is there any way to handle this?  re: AUTH ONLY, I don’t see how this helps.  If you go do a batch capture in Auth.net then you’re still capturing the funds, but there may not be an order number still, if the AUTH ONLY times out.

Once and for all, Magento......What’s the solution?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community