Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Order numbers not sequential and missing orders??? 

oliverm

Total Posts:  22

Hello,

Same error here.

Some orders are not recorded when a client pays with authorize.net

Any ideas!!!!!

Help Please

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisharper

Total Posts:  5

Here accepting the aforementioned issue. The fee applies to orders getting placed and the customer, but this does not accept any annal of Magento. A little advice actuality would be nice if the abutment team.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gregmoseley

Total Posts:  11

shawnlan - 04 November 2010 08:31 PM

if payment fails, supposedly you get a notification email. That’s all we need. Whether the order ids are perfectly sequential or not doesn’t matter at all.

Not true… Assuming you are a business you don’t want to have holes in your order numbers or within your accounting system when the tax man comes a-knocking.. At the moment I am having to create ‘BLANK ORDER’ invoices within my accounts software so there are no ‘missing’ invoices.

This is a bug. An order number should only be created and assigned at the point a user clicks on the ‘Confirm Order’ button.

V1.5.1.0 and still a problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

My Accountant always said that incomplete orders didn’t count and that taxwise it was holes in the Invoice Sequence that mattered.

Sales Orders are only potential sales and may never complete, Invoices verify the completion of the sale and are taxable.

So, are there blanks in the Invoice chain?

Magento Community
Magento Community

XenonSupply

Total Posts:  26

**bump

Experiencing this issue with 1.5 using PayPal Pro - I have implemented the PayPal “Authorization” vs “Sale” suggestion and we will see what happens but I really hope this gets resolved permanently.

Magento Community
Magento Community

CannyCookie

Total Posts:  20

We have same issue which only appeared to start following the upgrade to 1.5. Now on 1.5.1 and still problem is occurring about 5 times a month.

Each time it occurs we are getting a very unhappy customer who wants some explanation as to why their goods have not arrived.

Just to clarify non sequential order numbers is not a problem.  It is orders where payment has been made (PP Pro in this case) but there is no record of the sale in Mage.

Magento Community
Magento Community

XenonSupply

I’m not having any problems with missing orders… yet… but the number skipping does make me wary… to give an update on my last post since I changed PayPal Pro over from Sale to Authorization, we’re still getting skipped numbers… very annoying and it will be a very big problem for accounting if we ever get audited to have all these missing sale numbers because our order numbers are tied to our sale/receipt numbers. 

Either we find a solution to this or I may have to dramatically change the way we do customer order/receipt management which will really screw things up… I prefer to just have one order/invoice/receipt number for a customer, easier for customer tracking later on.

We’re building the next eCommerce site this coming month on the new Magento 1.6, we’ll see if it happens on there.

(on a side note… you’d think this forum spellchecker has “Magento” as an accepted word… rasberry)

Magento Community
Magento Community

bryantomalley

Total Posts:  2
Middle Georgia

We were having the same issues with orders not being sequential but haven’t actually lost orders.We are using PayPal Pro gateway and have a PayPal shortcut button on product pages. If a user clicks on the buy now paypal button on the product page, it kicks them out to paypal, then they login and choose their payment method. The user is sent back to our site to finalize the order. At this point the system has created an order# but if the users bails the order number still stays in the system.

This is why we are seeing order numbers out of sequence. Not sure if that helps anyone but thought I’d share my findings.

Magento ver. 1.5.1.0

Magento Community
Magento Community

XenonSupply

*Update

Since my last post, we have switched from PayPal Pro to Authorize.net… same problems although now we\’re starting to see serious number skipping as well as missing email notification from the sale, but at least it\’s still posting to Magento… we have yet to see a case of complete missing order number and missing order itself.  Hoping for the best right now.

Is this a problem only with Magento Community? Does the enterprise version NOT have this issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

The sales order number increments every time a submission for Credit Card authorization/capture is made. So if you have a customer giving you garbage billing addresses, cvvs or over-limit cards, the SO number goes up till he’s cycled through all his cards or gotten one to finally go through. His tries will be interleaved between the other customers who actually know what they’re doing and are successful on their first try. It’s the way Magento’s process has always worked.

Magento Community
Magento Community

XenonSupply

Well… if that’s the case then there’s really little we can do about this built-in issue… I can’t imagine the enterprise edition having these issues or maybe they are using the workaround I’ve come up with to solve this issue.

Please let me know if my workaround idea below is flawed so I can change mine back…

So… the ultimate solution I’ve come up with would be to pick up a number that Magento assigns to “successful” orders… the only number that I’ve found to be consistent and non-skipping is the “entity_id” number under “sales_flat_order"… where the incremental_id skips, the entity_id stays consistent… I understand that Magento assigns an order number to every cart… but why? is it necessary? I only care if the customer actually makes a purchase successfully… If say a credit card transaction is “pending” does Magento not log this transaction and not create an entity_id? (I’ve yet to find out) Of course this solution may not work for companies using checks… I don’t know how that works, but I don’t know anyone who still uses checks for online purchases (no offense).

So… what I ended up doing was using the entity_id for all my emails… having the variable in my email subject line and email body call out to EntityId instead of OrderId… I just added two numbers in front of the var callout (i.e. 80xxx, xxx being the entity_id) to make it look more pleasant…

The only place I’m left with changing the callout is the success.phtml page (after checkout completion) and the customer’s order number page of course… basically… at this point IF I can successfully finish modifying those two sections… I don’t even see a purpose to the orderID and why they made it the way it is… having skipping order numbers just raises a huge possible fraud alert and/or tax evasion (imagine if you ran a store front business instead of being online, and you had missing receipt numbers)… I assume some people have just made their own internal order numbers not matching up with the Magento order number but we use the order # as our sales receipt numbers so that all numbers tie together for easier referencing when a customer calls. This way we just have ONE number to track a sale instead of 3 or 4, i.e., Magento invoice, order, shipping, internal).  Maybe I’m not grasping the logical reason for having different invoice, order, and shipping numbers.

Either way, this has been a huge headache but I’m glad I’ve come up with somewhat of a solution… let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Sean

P.S. Ideally I would like to create/modify the incremental_id so that it acts like the entity_id - sadly I don’t know the coding languages well enough to pull it off

Magento Community
Magento Community

XenonSupply

Never mind… Entity_ID skips randomly too, usually upon failed transactions… on to the next idea.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

For everyone out there who wants a sequential set of Sales Order numbers, it’s harder than you think and that’s why you don’t see it being done in Magento. The reason it increments with each attempted credit card authorization is that most card processors expect you to be sending a Sales Order Number/Transaction identifier to them before you know that it will successfully pass. To use the Sales Order Number for this identifier will automatically mean that there will be skips where orders fail to authorize. To be able to have sequential Sales Order Numbers with no skips, you will need to create a transaction tracking system that recovers the assigned numbers from failed credit card authorizations and reuses them. Now you have a date/time issue as you have newer numbers that will auth before the older numbers get reassigned.

The reality is that if you want a true sequential Sales Order Number, you need an internal Sales Order custom attribute and way of assigning this internal sales order upon order save after a successful credit card authorization. The Sales Order Number assigned by Magento would then become a Transaction Identifier that will allow you to crossreference your Magento orders to your credit card processor’s authorizations and captures. You then need to add this internal Sales Order Number to the grid for sort, search and maintenance.

YAM (Yet another module) and YAN (Yet another number)

Magento Community
Magento Community

XenonSupply

chiefair - 12 September 2011 05:27 AM

For everyone out there who wants a sequential set of Sales Order numbers, it’s harder than you think and that’s why you don’t see it being done in Magento. The reason it increments with each attempted credit card authorization is that most card processors expect you to be sending a Sales Order Number/Transaction identifier to them before you know that it will successfully pass. To use the Sales Order Number for this identifier will automatically mean that there will be skips where orders fail to authorize. To be able to have sequential Sales Order Numbers with no skips, you will need to create a transaction tracking system that recovers the assigned numbers from failed credit card authorizations and reuses them. Now you have a date/time issue as you have newer numbers that will auth before the older numbers get reassigned.

The reality is that if you want a true sequential Sales Order Number, you need an internal Sales Order custom attribute and way of assigning this internal sales order upon order save after a successful credit card authorization. The Sales Order Number assigned by Magento would then become a Transaction Identifier that will allow you to crossreference your Magento orders to your credit card processor’s authorizations and captures. You then need to add this internal Sales Order Number to the grid for sort, search and maintenance.

YAM (Yet another module) and YAN (Yet another number)

Thank you for the detailed explanation chiefair, it explains why this issue has not been fixed since I now understand and can imagine the complications involved with reusing a failed order number.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I figured the only true way to get a sequential Sales Order Number was to add a new custom attribute and you’ve reaffirmed that assumption of mine.  Were the YAM and YAN suggested extensions to accomplish this? Because I couldn’t quite find either of those as extensions.  If you could point me in the right direction in creating those custom attributes I will surely try to tackle this task.

Thanks in advance!
Sean

Magento Community
Magento Community

XenonSupply

On a side note… can anyone explain why the entity_id and increment _id skip numbers inconsistently?  I would imagine these two would skip numbers together, but what I found was when the entity_id skips, the increment_id doesn’t and vice versa… this is just odd.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community