Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Surface order (Not item quantity)

Wylesight

Total Posts:  8
Geneva - Switzerland

HI all,

first, ‘bravo’ for all this good work, Magento seems just amazing.

I’m looking for a feature not often used in online shops, but with a lot of application fields :

Instead of ordering an integer quantity of products (1 dvd, 2 dvd, ... n dvd ...) is there a way to order a surface, an area of products, by entering the Hight an Width needed (2.5 meters x 1.8 meter = 4.5 m2 of wood for a panel by example).

Even if I’m not a killer developer, I would collaborate to develop such a function, and my company would be really interested to use this features ...

Thanks !

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Magento supports both decimal and integer quantities for products. You can set a product that can be ordered in decimal quantities and let the customer to enter the surface area.

It should be very straight forward to add some JavaScript code that will allow to enter to decimal numbers and multiply them and assign them to the product quantity value.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wylesight

Geneva - Switzerland

Thanks Yoav for this reply, that’s great.

I’ll try to do that; but what are the files I should modify to implement this modification :

- on the frontend first
- but then, the dimensions (height and width) must follow in the back end, and in the different emails sent, so the admin is able to prepare the command with the good dimensions

Moreover, does Magento allows a command < to 1 unit ?

And then, how to order different dimensions of the same product ? By example : ordering a wood panel of 0.5x0.5, and then an other dimension of this same wood panel reference, like 1.2x0.5 : if Magento add automatically the 2 areas (0.5x0.5 + 1.2x0.5) into 1 order (it’s the same product), we loose the information, and preparing the order is impossible…

For this last problem, maybe the solution is to use the products attributes : and force the user to choose an attribute like ‘my 1rst wood panel’, ‘my 2d wood panel’, etc… like that, different dimensions of the same product could be ordered.

Yes, this feature is a bit tricky… rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wylesight

Geneva - Switzerland

So, nobody interested in this feature ? long face

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wylesight

Geneva - Switzerland

So, I finally have some news from the Magento Team about this feature, and yes, they rock ! The ordering a surface feature should be available in the coming update ...

Thanks, can’t wait to test this new feature…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wylesight

Geneva - Switzerland

The new features included in the latest version are great, but the possibility to order and calculate the price based on height and width is not available…

Does anybody is interested by developping something like : http://www.myriadfineart.com/ .

What I need is exactly the same as the custom framing tool, adapted to another kind of product.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community