Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Feature a product promotion on the homepage? 

rebecca

Total Posts:  8

I’ve only been using Magento for the last 3 days, and I’m not too experienced with CMS like this.

I understand you can add “static modules” to the homepage or category pages, but I was wondering if there’s any way to have a purchasable product on the front page--with an “Add to cart” button and everything.

Sorry if this is a stupid question! The search terms I’ve been using “feature product homepage” and “highlight product homepage” have produced nothing but ambiguous results.

Thanks in advance!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

You can definitely show featured products on the homepage similar to the demo store homepage. If you would like to add them to your cart directly from the homepage without visiting their product page - this will require some programming skills but definitely possible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rebecca

Total Posts:  8

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Is the “Best Selling Products” section on the demo store homepage some kind of module or component that I can find in the back end? Or is it an extension or component I would need to install?

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

What you see in the demo store can be downloaded exactly as is by installing Sample Data. You will need to install Sample Data prior to installing Magento.  You could also take a look at the demo-admin store to see how this was set up using the CMS.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community