Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Default attributes? 

hearsay

Total Posts:  72

Is there any way to let a customer choose a default attribute to view when shopping? I’m asking because our client sells merchandise aimed at different universities. For example, the same shirt or dress might come in different colors corresponding to the different universities, so it would be lovely if the customer could choose a default university, and see the clothes in those colors by default.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

Have you considered just categorizing your products by Universities, where a user can select a University from the layered Navigation and then only see the products available for that University.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hearsay

Total Posts:  72

I thought about that, but then the user wouldn’t be able to select another University while viewing the product in the same way that they can select another color. See what I mean?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community