Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Poll
Was this helpful?
Yes 36
No 24
Total Votes: 60
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Tutorial How-To: Free Shipping Without Using Coupon

R22B

Total Posts:  76

I decided to create this, to help give back to the community.  It would be nice if a sticky was created and a list of these were compiled so users could go through it for help. It took me a while to figure out how to do this… so I know it will help others.

Problem: Want free shipping on products, but you don’t want to have to force a customer enter a coupon/code to do so.
Solution: See below.
Special Notes:Must apply to Simple Products.

For this to work, you first must do the following change the amount that allows free shipping.  You’ll want to set it something unrealistic so it never appears.

1. Log into the backend of your site.

2. Go to Systems -> Configuration
   3. On the tabs on the left
click "Shipping Methods"

4. Under "Free Shipping"set minimum shipping price to 9999999999.99.  This wayits enabled but won't ever show up (unless someone buys 9999999999.99 worth of products from your store. In which case, set it so its not possible to reach the amount where free shipping would be allowed.
   5. Save Config.

Now, onto setting up attributes and rules!

Steps:

1. Log into the backend of your site.

2. Go to Catalog -> Manage Products

3. Select a product you want to editIt doesn’t matter at this point.

4. On the top rightthere will be a â€œCreate New Attribute” buttonclick itHard.

5. Once you’re on the â€œCreate Attribute” screenyou’ll want to fill it out.  Here is what I have for reference
            a
.    Attribute Codefree_shipping
            b
.    Scope: Global

c.    Catalog Input Type for Store OwnerDropdown
            d
.    Unique ValueNo
            e
.    Values RequiredYes
            f
.    Input Validation for Store OnwnerNone
            g
.    Apply ToAll Product Types
            h
.    Use To Create Configurable ProductNo
            i
.    Use in Quick SearchNo
            j
.    Use in Advance SearchNo
            k
.    Comparable on Front EndNo
            l
.    Use in Layered NavigationNo
            m
.    Visible on Catalog Pages on Front EndNo
    6. Once you’re done filling that information out
go to the Manage Label/Options side tab:

a.    Now I don’t know what the fields under â€œManage Titles” saybecause they are just scrambled letters (thanks v1.1.1but the first field is what is show next to the drop down box and shown when creating a coupon and stuff.  So I went with â€œFree Shipping”.

b.    Under the â€œManage Options”create two options.  AgainI don’t know what the fields say (thanks v1.1.1).  One should say â€œYes” and the other should say â€œNo”Set the default to â€œNo”
    7. Save Attribute 
(button in upper right.)

8. Once that savesgo to Promotions -> Shopping Cart Price Rules.

9. Click the â€œAdd New Rule” button on the upper rightSoftly this time.

10. Here is the information I used as a reference
            a
.    Rule NameFree Shipping
            b
.    DescriptionFree shipping on selected products.

c.    StatusActive
            d
.    Customer GroupsNOT LOGGED INGENERALWHOLESALERETAILER
            e
.    Everything else I left blank/default.

11. The â€œConditions” tab on the left should be left how it is.  Skip over it and select the â€œActions” tab
            a
.    ApplyPercent of product price discount
            b
.    Discount Amount0
            c
.    Maximum Qty Discount is Applied to0
            d
.    Discount Qty Step (Buy X): 0
            e
.    Free Shipping: For Matching items only (IMPORTANT!  If a user has multiple items in shopping cartonly the product with free shipping is free, and not everything in the cart.)

f.    Stop Further Rules ProcessingNo
    12. Here is the important part… the rules
.  Set this up like mine and you’ll be good:

a.    If ANY of these conditions are TRUE:

b.    Click the + and select the â€œFree Shipping” attribute you created earlier.  Then click the â€œâ€¦â€ and select it as â€œYes”
    13. Save attribute
!

14. Edit any product you like.  ** IT MUST BE A SIMPLE PRODUCT **.  At the very bottom of product information when you're under the "General" tab, there will be a Free Shipping* with a drop down box. Set the â€œFree Shipping” to â€œYes”.  Save it.  Now act like you are buying the product you just updated and calculate shipping cost.  If ground shipping says: $0.00, it work!

I hope this helps!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

pritch20001

Total Posts:  63

Will this only work in 1.1?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

How about adding this to the wiki?

Magento Community
Magento Community

radders

Total Posts:  162

Sorry I don’t quite understand what you are getting at here. Could you explain if this works with table rates or only with carriers that have a ‘Free Method’.
How is this different from the normal way of using free shipping with shopping cart rules that we have submitted the bug reports about?
I can’t see any mention of using table rates here and I think the normal way works if you have a carrier that supports a ‘free method’ of ground shipping.

Is this perhaps just a way of applying the free shipping manually to certain selected products rather than using rules to select the products automatically?

tia
David

Magento Community
Magento Community

aypepito

Total Posts:  15

Hello,
thank you for this explanation, but it is too complicated only for a free shipping promotion.

It has to be simple, without creating a special attribute for it.

I hope magento developpers will read this ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

MartinaL

Total Posts:  82

Did anyone figure out how to simply apply free shipping to the shop?

I want to add free shipping for a person’s first order but it doesn’t seem to apply? I have set it up as per the Wiki but it still doesn’t apply??

Magento Community
Magento Community

mr_jake

Total Posts:  3

Thank You! This fixed my problem perfectly and it really was not that hard it took me like two seconds. Thank you for posting.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mr_jake

Okay, I set this up and it works great but, what if we do not offer free shipping to customers outside of the US? Basically this is what I need if you buy a flute you get free shipping on your order in the US only. If you buy a flute and a flute book you still get free shipping on your order. If you buy just the flute book no flute there is no free shipping? Any suggestions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ldargie

This works great if it’s just the products that have free shipping.  Is there a way to exclude the products with the free shipping attribute from the table rates?  I have table rates set up by # of items in the cart.  I have one item that I’d like to offer free shipping on, but if ordered with something else I’d like the quanity not included in the cart calculation for shipping.

Any ideas?  The table rates shipping is really working well for me, with the exception of this new product I’ve added.  It’s something that the ordering quanity will generally be high.

Magento Community
Magento Community

R22B

Total Posts:  76

Will this only work in 1.1?

Thanks

It should!

Sorry I don’t quite understand what you are getting at here. Could you explain if this works with table rates or only with carriers that have a ‘Free Method’.
How is this different from the normal way of using free shipping with shopping cart rules that we have submitted the bug reports about?
I can’t see any mention of using table rates here and I think the normal way works if you have a carrier that supports a ‘free method’ of ground shipping.

Is this perhaps just a way of applying the free shipping manually to certain selected products rather than using rules to select the products automatically?

tia
David

This overrides any shipping from any carrier.  If you have a product set for free shipping, that product will cost the customer nothing for shipping.  I don’t follow the bug reports, so I have no idea what you are talking about.  Again, this overrides all shipping rates.  This is in fact a way to apply free shipping for products if you have/need “free shipping” disabled on all products.

Hello,
thank you for this explanation, but it is too complicated only for a free shipping promotion.

It has to be simple, without creating a special attribute for it.

I hope magento developpers will read this ?

This is actually very easy to set up.  Once you set it up, you go to the edit product screen for a product and there is a drop down for free shipping.

Did anyone figure out how to simply apply free shipping to the shop?

I want to add free shipping for a person’s first order but it doesn’t seem to apply? I have set it up as per the Wiki but it still doesn’t apply??

Good question.  I’m not sure if I could set this up, but I will check it out for you.

This works great if it’s just the products that have free shipping.  Is there a way to exclude the products with the free shipping attribute from the table rates?  I have table rates set up by # of items in the cart.  I have one item that I’d like to offer free shipping on, but if ordered with something else I’d like the quanity not included in the cart calculation for shipping.

Any ideas?  The table rates shipping is really working well for me, with the exception of this new product I’ve added.  It’s something that the ordering quanity will generally be high.

You can add products that have free shipping with products that don’t.  The products that have free shipping wont be calculated into the total shipping.  The products that DONT have free shipping will be calculated accordingly.

mr_jake, I responded to your PM.

Magento Community
Magento Community

matponta

Total Posts:  39
Italy

Hey.

I need to add a message in the order confirmation email in the shipping info section… any idea on how to do it with free shipping?

Mattia

Magento Community
Magento Community

OSdave

Total Posts:  62
Granada, Spain

thanks a lot R22B, it works great!
I have just 2 things to add:
1. don’t forget to include this attribute into your attributes sets in order for this free shipping attribute to show up when you’re editing a product from this set (it took me like 30 minutes to figure it out!)

2. I want to offer free shipping only if all products in the shopping cart have this attribute at “yes”. To do so, I create a rule in the condition tab of the shopping cart rule, which says:

If ALL of these conditions are TRUE :
If total quantity less than 1 for a subselection of items in cart matching ALL of these conditions:
Free Shipping is No

If that helps someone…

It’s late now, I have to shut down the computer. Next weel I’ll try to see if this is possible to apply it to configurable products, or are you totally sure that it is totally impossible? I’ll let you know if I can do it.
cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

rlevin1792

Total Posts:  31

Worked like a charm, and it was easy.  You’re the bomb, thanks.
rl

Magento Community
Magento Community

rianti

Total Posts:  8

It works great with v 1.2.1.2, thanks heaps! I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while grin Just one thing though, when a free shipping product is added to the cart, it still shows the standard delivery option on top of the free shipping. Do you have any idea how to create a rule that says if this product is qualified for free shipping, don’t show any other shipping option? Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

PooleAdvertising

Does anyone know how to add free shipping to a configurable product?  I was able to get the simple products to work but the free shipping option doesn’t come up during checkout for a configurable product.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

PooleAdvertising

Ok, so I figured out a way to do free shipping on a product with a way to select options similar to a configurable product. 

I setup my options as Virtual Products and set the visibility for each to Nowhere.  I then created a Group Product that was visible on the Catalog, Search.  Under the Associated Products on the Group Product, I selected each of the Virtual Products.  This allows me to have one product listing in my shopping cart with the virtual product options listed on that page. 

If someone orders one of the virtual products, the shipping options in the checkout process don’t show up.  If they order a virtual product and another item from my shopping cart, the shipping option will appear but not charge them shipping on the virtual product.

Hope this helps if anyone else had a similar issue...it only took a couple days for me to figure this one out.  wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4