Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Proper directories to store Category and Product images are? 

edwardtilbury

Total Posts:  66
Las Vegas, Nevada

Where are we supposed to upload category images, and product images.  I assume it is in the /media folder, but I am not sure where I am supposed to put them.  Do I need to make any sub directories?

Thank you!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiaraweb
Guru

Total Posts:  721
Aviano ~ Italy

You do not need to do nothing, when you upload images magento will create the folders itself

Magento Community
Magento Community

edwardtilbury

Las Vegas, Nevada

Thank you for your reply, but I want to import thousands of products, so in order to link them to the proper file location I wanted to upload them to their respective directory.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lol

Total Posts:  68
Plymouth, UK

@fifthave: in your spreadsheet (thanks for posting) you have /3921b.jpg as your image url. So, am I correct in thinking that Magento expects this image to be placed here:

http://your_domain/magento_store_directory/media/catalog/products/ ?

If I were to import a csv file with all the product data why would I use the use the import folder? Surely it would make more sense to upload straight to the media/catalog/products/ directory?

Also, if I use the backend image import what is the logic behind Magento’s directory naming? My first imported images were placed in http://your_domain/magento_store_directory/media/catalog/products/c/e/. Any idea why?

It would be nice if there was an easy way to set the images directory in the backend.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hotse

Total Posts:  1

Thanks for the post, just what i was looking for.

Annyone a idea why you cant ( (or how you can) use the same picture for multiple products. The upload via import makes test.jpg, test-1.jpg etc for every next item. i just want test.jpg for all 4 items (and test1. jpg for an other 4 items etc ) . I could import the items again with the correct picture directory/name i think, but than i also need to delete al the extra pictures. Updating pictures this way wil become very timeconsuming.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lol

Total Posts:  68
Plymouth, UK

I’m going to try a direct ftp of all images into the images folder in a directory structure of my making. Then I’ll try a data import (System>Import>Profiles) of the rest of the product info including urls reflecting the directory structure I have made. If that doesn’t work I may make changes in the database directly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bowers2000

Total Posts:  31

I think the logic behind it is to logically break-up the images into different directories.  I think the upload takes the first few characters and assigns it to folders.

For example, if a file starts with da122.jpg.  Magento will put it in /d/a/da122.jpg.  I breaks it into folders so the folders aren’t too big.  If you store all your images in one directory it will slow it down.  I just don’t like it that you can’t upload in that structure manually.

Magento Community
Magento Community

edwardtilbury

Las Vegas, Nevada

But what about products with 5+ images… Where are the other images defined? I only see columns in the csv for the thumbnail and maybe 1 other image, where do I specify the other images?

Most of my products have 20 images.

Do I separate them with a pipe | or something?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community