Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

how to export all magento’s data , so i can re-import it later? perhaps with a fresh install? 

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

hi

perhaps i should’ve asked this a long time ago, which would save not just me but everyone else a lot of time during their upgrade process.

does anybody out there, know how you can just do a complete ‘export’ of all your data in a format that is later ‘import’able by magento?

if this is possible, it wouldn’t be too hard upgrading without the store breaking since you know your data is safe and it can be re-imported anytime with a clean fresh install of magento.

so does this thing exist? if it does, does it work well?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dotprkirk

Total Posts:  50

That would be wonderful.

However, from what I’m reading, there are some incompatibilities between the older databases and newer (i.e. 1.1.1 and 1.1.2). I haven’t seen any sort of solution, and it is something I would welcome as the database and all my products being kept as-is (or compatible w/ future versions) are exponentially more important than any design changes I’d have to make.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikej165

Total Posts:  89

I don’t think Magento supports this natively, but it is fairly easy to do on the command line. You can use mysqldump to dump a complete copy of your database to a file. You could later then reimport the data. As another poster mentioned, you’d need to be careful that the database schema you import is matched to the version of Magento you’re using. If you were to backup both simultaneously and restore them in tandem you’d be fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

eh perhaps i should have asked like this:

is it possible to export all data in your magento store:

1. Custom Attributes
2. Catalog Data
3. Configuration of Store in Admin (Shipping, Sales, etc, etc,
4. Transactional Emails
5. Static Blocks and CMS Pages

to a cvs or xml or anything other than sql dump,

and then later import it via magento’s import tool?

Because basically I want to just export those data, then install fresh version of Magento, then re-import those data. I’ve noticed that running old database on new magento will not work on many cases.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Total Posts:  191

Is this an impossible task?  Seems like if there is going to be a 1.1.x release that this should be possible right?  The migration wiki refers to just themes, but many of us have invested a lot of time in our catalogs, attributes, categories, transitional emails, page content, and configuration.  How should we migrate these pieces of data to the new 1.1 version? - roco

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Total Posts:  179

I have the same issue. Lots of time spent on configuration and now I’m not sure what is the best method for getting all my work out and into the new version.  Tried upgrading the old version but doesn’t work.

I created fresh install of 1.1.2 and now I’m debating how to get all my settings and configurations, products, and CMS pages into the new system…

Magento Community
Magento Community

pixelpusher

Total Posts:  135
SoCal

Welcome to magento! Many are frustrated with this fact, and no word or accountability from the “magento team”

Although I believe this is the goal of the “developer challenge” A simple way for them to pass responsibility to the community while cashing in on all the botched upgrades with “premium support packages”

what a joke…

Theres so much potential here but even this 1.1.2 version feels like a beta (even alpha at times!)

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Total Posts:  191

One person’s experience with “Premium Support Options”

5 days ago, after a phone call to varien, I was told they could help migrate my site if I signed up for the “Premium Support Package” to help get my site migrated.  This was a relief as my hosting provider and I struggled to get my site migrated using every option we knew of.  My hosting provider recommended “Premium Support” as they could not figure out how to migrate it (1.098xx / No Core files changed / default theme / 1000 products, some templates modified).  So I put out $500 to get my site migrated (and maybe get some help with other features down the road).

Varien asked for passwords to my DB, Admin Console, Magento, etc etc.  So I made all the configurations to send them another set of passwords and document it all. Then I received an email after 36 hours saying that they are sorry that they will not be able to help me migrate my site as they believe I need their “professional service help” $$$$ , to migrate the site from 1.098xxxx to 1.1.2.

So I give a call to them and help them understand that my installation has been carefully modified and is: 1.98xx / No Core files changed / default theme / 1000 products and they agree that this migration is within the scope of their premium support. Varien asks for notes on the support ticket with my hosting provider (who actually did nothing to modify the 1.098xx install - they simply set up another clean install of 1.1.2 for me to try and perform a manual migration).  So I send the notes and wait the weekend out.

On Tuesday I received this notice(4 days after ticket has been generated):

After reviewing the information you have sent us we must inform to you that we will not perform the reinstall requested from the Support Department.

We do not provide installation services under the support contract.
Too many changes have been performed on this installation, by different parties and it is almost impossible to track the changes and activities done on it.

We have 2 options to proceed:
1) You should run the upgrade again on a clean Magento install, and if you will encounter problems you will provide us with the details and we will be able to help.
2) You will purchase professional services to solve the issue

I fully understand the delay has caused you an inconvenience with your client, however the problems are now out of our support Scope.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any additional questions.

“Install services - this is an upgrade?” “Track changes?” - this is a default theme installation with modified templates.  Why would I “upgrade a clean magento install?” “I will purchase professional services?”

What is going on here?

Listen, Magento appears to have great potential and is obviously feature rich, but I definitely feel a bit burned here and like my time is not being respected.  Yesterday I spent 8 hours migrating to the clean install all my attributes, settings, options, trans emails, etc etc.  Today I am going to tackle the migrating the catalog.  We are committed to seeing magento / varien succeed but this is not what I expected from paid support.

This is just one person’s experience, and I hope other customers are having better experiences with the “Premium Support Options.”

-roco

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community