Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Difficult attribute/category question

hearsay

Total Posts:  72

I have a client that sells collegiate merchandise. Their lines of clothes are essentially the same across all universities, but with different colors tailored to each school. Here’s the experience we’d like to achieve:

Let’s say I live near the University of Tennessee, so I choose that to be my default school. When I shop the store, it only shows me merchandise for UT. But while browsing, I may see something that my cousin at Auburn might like. I want to be able to switch to his “school” and see what the product looks like when it’s meant for Auburn. Can I do that?

I know it sounds weird, and if I need to clarify, I will. It’s a different kind of experience that they have in mind. When our clients first approached us, they wanted people to be able to shop different school “closets”, as if each school had it’s own closet of clothes. My recommendation was to just have people select a default school, but not call them closets. A closet would imply that you have to leave one to see what’s in another closet, when I would think that the same product for two different universities would really be more of an attribute rather than a category. See what I mean? But I’m not sure I can do what I want to do with attributes.

I’m new to Magneto, obviously, so please bear with me. I’m coming from ExpressionEngine on this project because the eCommerce solution we were going to use was just discontinued by its third-party developer, who just went out of business.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hearsay

Total Posts:  72

No help here?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community