Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

PayPal Direct and Express Issues in 1.1.2

Christian_Norway

Total Posts:  135

Hi all,

Info on me and my site:

Paypal Seller Account
Paypal account: Business
Company based in: Norway

I’ve added the API, username and password from my Paypal account. And I have Sandbox mode = OFF.

Tried to test in real life, by using my own credit card.  But I am getting an error.

Errors for Direct:
- First I got an error telling me to add info about state (as this is not a requisite, this have to be an bug)
- Second error: Unsupported Currency.: This transaction cannot be processed due to an unsupported currency.

Errors for Express:
- There was an error during communication with Paypal: Transaction refused because of an invalid argument. See additional error messages for details. - Order total is invalid.

In Paypal:
- I’ve set to accept Norwegian currency, the same for the store.

Anyone know?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

Hi Christian,

PayPal Express does not work with paypal accounts (using API) belonging to businesses outside the US.

That is the reason for the errors that you mention. There is no bug(s).

You will have to use PayPal Website Payments Standard (that only need the business account - no API) or chose another payment solution (like Dibs). The disadvantage with PayPal Website Payments is that the customer is redirected to the PayPal website, and does the payment there. Also, the PayPal Website Payments Standard payment site cannot be set up with your language (norwegian) - only english, german and a few more.

You will find some more details about the same topic here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/12631/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian_Norway

Is this the reason why Paypal Direct don’t work aswell?

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Yeah, no Paypal Website Payments Pro will work, as long as your PayPal account is registered by a company (or individual) in Norway (i.e. outside US).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian_Norway

How will it affect a Norwegian company to have an US Paypal account?

- Taxed in the US and Norway?
- Illegal?
- Do I need an US company Organisation number?

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

My best guess is that this is because of security issues (do also remember that PayPal is a part of eBay and offers special protection on transactions that are done using PayPal). PayPal has no plans to make changes in the near future, as far as I know.

It would not affect the taxing of your company (you can chose many other payments companies in the US that will accept you as a customer).

It is not illegal (once again, you can sign up with many other payments companies in the US that will be glad to accept you as a customer).

The PayPal requirements for PayPal Direct / Express / Pro are: You need to have an internet merchant account. That is an account with a bank that allows you to process credit cards online.

Further PayPal states that these payments solutions currently only are available in the US.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian_Norway

Is the DIBS module working now for Norway and Scandinavia?

What payment solutions will you offer your customers?

Thanks for all the info so far grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

There is a dibs module available (through connect). The latest release is 0.9.3 I believe. It should work for Norway / Scandinavia.

Version 1.0 will include full integration with Dibs (but it is still not available).

What payment solution to recommend will differ from website to website. If you have small volume and customers that can handle english, I would probably use PayPal Website Payments Standard. The advantage: No setup cost, no firm monthly costs.

The disadvantage with the Scandinavian payment solutions, are typical relatively high setup costs and monthly costs as well.

If you want to run a big scale web site business, you have to run a fully integrated payment solution - still not available.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian_Norway

Trying to read about the difference in DIBS and BBS. However finding it hard to find any differences. Are they basically the same, and the only difference is price?

Do VISA and MasterCard transaction cost come on top of DIBS and BBS transaction and monthly costs?

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

I don’t have the prices for BBS.

DIBS: Yes, VISA and MasterCard transaction cost come on top and monthly costs. So as you will see, Internet Start will cost you quite a lot. I guess there is too little competition.

You might also check if the bank you use can offer a better package solution ...

(Have your shop stopped using Magento - at least Magento is not visible in the draft version of Magento Webshop).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian_Norway

Ahh,

I’ve just changed the place where it is stored. Check new signature

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community